Can I Use Just Hi Ratio?

Baking By krzykakes Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm by JanH

krzykakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to using hi ratio shortening. I've been using edna's bc. I use 1/2 vegetable shortening and 1/2 hi ratio? I'm making a cake today and I'm out of vegetable shortening. Would you recommend using 1/2 0 trans fat shortening and 1/2 hi ratio or can I use just the hi ratio? Thanks in advance

5 replies
anotherslice Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have any butter in addition to the high ratio shortening? I usually use 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup solid high ratio shortening when I use Edna's recipe. I've never tried it with high ratio shortening only, I don't think it would be a problem.

Tiffany29 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

It's ok to use hi ratio.

JustToEatCake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

I have used 100% high ratio shortening in icing with perfect results.

krzykakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much !!

JanH Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 6

Substituting hi-ratio for regular shortening 1:1 in frosting recipes is like substituting heavy cream for whole milk. You can certainly do that if you want to, but it's not necessary or cost effective.

A lot of members (myself included) replace 1 cup of Crisco with only 2/3 cup of hi-ratio (hi-ratio has more stabilizers and emulsifiers than Crisco so you can use less but obtain the same results).

Here are some really great hi-ratio shortening recipes with an explanation of what hi-ratio shortening is:
(Also includes several popular CC Crisco based buttercreams recipes.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633723-.html

Hi-ratio shortening is an icing & cake frosting, so you can substitute hi-ratio for regular shortening when baking. (Hi-ratio cake formulas are a bit different, but I think you should be good to go.)

If you scroll down there's an example of a normal butter cake recipe and one for a hi-ratio cake:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ButterCakes.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%