Roses

Decorating By mexicrocker Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 12:04am by mexicrocker

mexicrocker Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make a wedding cake with fresh roses between the layers. It's a 3 tier with 1 cake on each side, and it's supposed to feed 150 people. How many roses will I need?

8 replies
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 9

163. If there are leftovers, use them to decorate the cake table.

indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 9

I don't buy flowers. The bride does. I tell her the sizes of the cakes (6/10/14, for example). I tell her how tall the pillars are. Then she tells this to the florist, who helps the bride buy enough roses. The florst knows how open the bloom will be and how much space it will take up. The florist has provided flowers for lots of cakes and has experience in this.

I am not a personal shopper. Brides provide all florals, silk or real.

Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 9

Obviously, you have the bride order and deliver the flowers to you, and then you CHARGE HER for your floral services. That doesn't make you a "personal shopper," it makes you a smarter and richer cake designer...and it gives you total control over the cake - which should NEVER be left in the hands of the florist anyway. icon_confused.gif

How many threads on this website does it take for us to learn that florists usually don't give a rat's ass about handling the cakes delicately and then who looks bad for having a finger-poked cake on the cake table? THE CAKE DESIGNER.

Duh.

indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 9

cakepro, let me clarify. I apply the roses to the cake, not the florist. And the bride is so busy that I dont' require her to delivery the flowers to me ahead of time .... I tell them to have the florist leave them on the cake table and I'll take care of it when I set up the cake.

It's never been a problem and I've never been disappointed in the flowers.

The reason I use the term "personal shopper" is one day the bride brought me some silks weeks ahead of time, then she changed the design a bit later. She forgot to bring extra flowers. So here I am, on cake making day, and I'm running over to Michael's to try to find some flowers to match, watching the time, stressing out because I have a cake to finish and here I am in the van, driving around, trying to find some freakin' flowers! It was at that point that I realized, "This is why I don't buy flowers." Every minute I am in the van shopping for flowers, it's a minute that I'm NOT in the shop making money on a cake.

I also dont' buy votives or other table decor. I'm not a wedding planner or a recpetion decorator.

zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:12am
post #6 of 9

I learned the hard way about fresh roses and brides. Did a wedding and grooms cake for a pro football player the bride wanted fresh roses on the cake. I told her to contact her florist about the roses. I planned on arranging them on the cake when I get there. Long story short the florist hadn't heard a thing about any roses for the cake!!!!! All he had was some roses that had been in his truck all day. So all I had to work with was some rose petals. It worked out but talk about nerve racking. Couldn't believe the bride had forgoten to order her flowers

indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 9

zdeb ... had a similar one. Got to the venue and there were no flowers. Asked the venue staff if maybe they had them in the 'frig. Nope. Ok then ..... I set up the cake and left. If bride doesn't order flowers or florist doesn't leave them, it's and issue between the bride and the florist. Just like if I forgot to deliver the cake, it would be between me and the bride .... it would not be the photographer's problem because he didn't have a cake to do his cake-cutting photo.

mexicrocker Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:00am
post #8 of 9

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate your input!

mexicrocker Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #9 of 9

Another quick question.... How do I put the flowers in the cake? Do I use foam on top of the cake and poke them into the foam; or do I put water picks and poke them directly into the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%