Cookie Disaster - Gingerbread

Decorating By imartsy Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm by Sagebrush

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I was sure I made this correctly, but the dough has come out really sticky and won't roll out... can anyone help? Do you think if I add more flour it would help? I'm thinking maybe somehow I left out a little...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/gingerbread-holiday-cookie-white-snowflakes-dreidel-trios-ornaments-recipe/index.html

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 6

You did refrigerate it right?

Yes you can roll it in some more flour as you roll it out. I'd avoid putting it back in the mixer with additional flour--just knead some in as you go is how I'd do it.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 6

The recipe I was using the other day (for soft cookies) called for 4-6 cups of flour, and told you to add just enough flour to keep it from being sticky, so I would say that yes, you can just add more flour.

Are you making cookies to eat, or making a house? That will affect how you want the dough to be before baking.

- Leisel

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

I refrigerated it overnight. I'm just trying to make gingerbread people - not house. It's still sticky and I've just added a lot of flour... or at least it seemed like a lot of flour - just by hand. It seems to have just combined and it's still sticky icon_sad.gif

Anyone have a better recipe??

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

I refrigerated it overnight. I'm just trying to make gingerbread people - not house. It's still sticky and I've just added a lot of flour... or at least it seemed like a lot of flour - just by hand. It seems to have just combined and it's still sticky icon_sad.gif

Anyone have a better recipe??

Add some more.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

The recipe I used was the Soft Ginger Cookies in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49970-soft.html+ginger+cookies

The dough was still REALLY soft after I added all the flour (although different humidity/temps might affect that). I rolled it out on a silpat under waxed paper and then put it in the freezer for awhile, but it was still always fairly soft, and after cooking they had spread a bit (although I didn't realize that until I put the cookie cutter by them, the shapes still looked fine), and when I got to decorating, I realized that there was some distortion, too (I'm sure that had to do with transferring them after cutting them out), but they taste good and are soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%