Fondant Bows Are Harder Than They Look!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 3:25am by leah_s

cakesrock Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 11

Or maybe it's just me! icon_sad.gif
But I tried to make my first fondant loop bow with red satin ice, followed the awesome step by step tutorial on here and it looks like crap! My loops were too big, they seem too thick ( though I followed the 1 inch directions), some of them even cracked and it just doesn't look like a bow...

Maybe I just need some practice. Anyone else experience the same thing? There are sooo many beautiful bows on here and I really want to perfect this technique. Oh and I was getting so confident with my decorating skills lately and now I am a bit let down.

I have 2 present cakes awaiting beatiful bows! Any advice? TIA

10 replies
Donnagardner Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 11

Could you post a pic of what you have already done? You tube is a great place to get tutorials but there are some on here as well I think.

DianeLM Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 11

Check out the instructions in my signature. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, show us a picture of what you did. Bow loops should be thin and pinched at the ends. Let them dry over a rod of some sort and stick plastic wrap in the loops to hold them up when you place them (if they aren't dry.)

Marianna46 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 11

One thing that I find helpful is to avoid making bows from pure fondant. I've always used a combination of fondant and gumpaste or even pure gumpaste (the recipe originated by Nicholas Lodge which is here in the recipe section). Roll the stuff really thin and don't overwork it: this gives a more fabric-like effect. Let the loops and loose ends dry for days (3-4 at least), to avoid problems when you're putting the bow together. I find the loops dry perfectly well on their sides, so that a drying rack, while fun to have, is not really necessary. When I make the loops, I also make a circle of gumpaste (or whatever I'm using) about half the diameter of the finishsed bow to use as a base for assembly. Make sure loops come to a fairly sharp point at the end to be inserted into the bow, so that they will all fit together easily. Assemble with RI the same color as the bow. I hope this will help, because bows are the best thing since sliced bread for decorating a cake.

cakesrock Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the advice! icon_smile.gif I'm really trying to salvage what I have. I used a remainder of my red fondant and made some more loops. Just waiting for them to dry! I'll post when done... icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11

I like to use all fondant mixed with a good amount of cornstarch for my bows. I often add some raspberry flavor so the taste is more enticing.

I roll it thick or thin, then lay them on their sides or looped over fat dowel. Air dry or dry in my warming drawer--not over 150 degrees.

I take scissors and clip the ends into a point as I assemble the bow--so I am inserting pointy ends into the middle/center of the bow.

I make different widths and sizes of loops as well as curliques wrapped around a dowel.

And be sure you knead the fondant well before rolling it out. It needs to be all freshly worked in order to perform the best.

cakesrock Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 11

Hi all,
I took your helpful advice and made a new bow! It turned out wonderful.... I found that adding gumtex to my MMF worked the best. Unfortunately, I had to pitch the first one, as it started to crack even more when I tried to move it onto the cake. It actually looks better in the photo (it looked MUCH worse in reality!) icon_smile.gif Then I had to go with an entirely different design for my cake (I actually made a different bow). That gumpaste bow tutorial is fantastic BTW and it's sooo much easier to make! Luckily, I have another present cake home for this bow icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again for your sage advice- I LOVE cc!
LL
LL
LL

Marianna46 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 11

Nice work, cakesrock! What a difference! This is exactly why I love this site so much: I can't tell you how much I've learned in the last year (I'm coming up on my first anniversary here, and the difference is amazing).

sugarandslice Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 11

Your bow turned out great.
Next time you could try one like this:

Just another skill to add to your repetoire!
icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #11 of 11

I do bows a bit differently, I think. Overall it's easier for me, and makes a *very* realistic bow. Roll fondant with tylose/CMC added through the pasta roller at the second or third thickest, or whatever thickness you prefer. For a bow on a 6" round cake, I cut the strips about one inch wide (the width of my ruler) and 6" long. fold in half, trim end to a point, insert a dampened, hooked wire between the two points, insert a plastic dowel into the loop and set over a glass to dry.

To assemble, I stick the loops in where they need to go. I also make "ends" 4" long and shaped over something. I use about 20 loops for a bow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%