Immed. Help Needed W/ Recipe Pls!

Baking By Swede-cakes Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 2:49am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I'm perplexed. I used a WASC recipe this evening, converted it to Raspberry by adding seedless rasp jam and rasp extract. Wanted a nice dark pink color, so also added some pink gel color. Well, I just leveled the cake and there are pink spots inside! Small but def. noticeably darker than the cake itself and all throughout. Is it possible that gel color would have crystalized and wouldn't blend in while baking?? It's the only thing I can think of. The gel didn't seem grainy when I took some out of the container.

The spots bother me, as this is for a client who loves this raspberry cake I make. Should I make another and leave out the color? Or let it go? I'm not sure what I'd say if she asks about it. Thoughts, please?

Sheesh! And I thought I'd finally get a good night's sleep!

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 4

Are you sure it wasn't a bit of jam that melted into the batter during baking?

I would rebake only if the cake is over/underbaked not because of the uneven coloring caused by the jam or gel. icon_smile.gif

If she asks, just tell her it's (bits of) jam that was added for flavor enhancement.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Jan. I also think if it were pure pink, it would look artificial. A spotty look somehow seems more "real" to me.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 4

JanH and Indydebi, I haven't had a chance to respond to your helpful posts until now...thank you both for your words of advice! You put my mind at ease, I delivered the cake the next day and felt better about it. Curious little pink spots, but most likely you're right. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%