How To Stabilize Whipping Cream

Baking By dinku Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm by AngelaM

dinku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinku Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 16

i like to use whipping cream icing on my cake but every time before i complete my icing its starts melting how to avoid it?i dont want to use gelatin does meringue powder(dry white egg powder) or corn starch help?
actually i want to prepare flowers using whipping cream how can i do it?could anyone plz help me out?

15 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 16

Here's a website that tells you different ways to stablize whipped cream i found:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2323470_stabilize-whipped-cream.html

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 16

I got the opportunity to shadow at a cake store recently, and they used whipping cream frosting almost exclusively. I got to help make it, and all they used was vanilla, whipped cream, and powdered sugar. They do whip the icing extensively. After putting the vanilla and whipping cream in the mixer, I would guess the mixer ran for a good 30 minutes or more. They said they knew it was done when they could hear the whipped cream flopping over.

I don't know if that will help, but maybe a longer beating time would make a difference for you.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush

I would guess the mixer ran for a good 30 minutes or more. They said they knew it was done when they could hear the whipped cream flopping over.

Are you sure it was whipping cream and not whipped icing.... Think 30+ minutes would result in butter not frosting. icon_lol.gif

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 16

Over beating can cause the cream to seperate (looks curdled) which then becomes butter.I usually watch over it while whisking and stop when firm stiff peaks form.I add the sugar in the beginning just as it starts thickening.
The one time I was doing several things together and forgot the cream was whisking it did become butter so I just drained out all the whey and melted the butter to make ghee(clarified butter).No waste. But the cream horns had to wait.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:18am
post #6 of 16

Bettercreme looks and tastes almost the same as real whipped cream but if you're looking for stabilizied whipped cream that's what you want!

I know you said you didn't want to use gelatin but this recipe works very well.

2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp gelatin
1/4 cup water

Combine gelatin and water, allow to soften for 5 minutes, then, dissolve gelatin over low heat. Gelatin must be liquid , but not warm.
In the chilled bowl beat the cream and sugar just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the gelatin mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly and beat just until stiff peaks form when beater is raised. Keep cake refrigerated, covered, for up to one week.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:22am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth101

I just drained out all the whey and melted the butter to make ghee(clarified butter).

Just FYI, but whey is a by product of cheesemaking (it is liquid that separates from the curds). The liquid left over when making butter is buttermilk. icon_smile.gif

HTH

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #8 of 16

I add meringue powder if I want whipped cream to not deflate so fast - like when I pre-plate strawberry shortcake for catering. It works but I've never had to hold it longer than 4 hours in the cooler for buffet setup.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:25am
post #9 of 16

yes it is buttermilk, wonder why I was thinking of whey

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:37am
post #10 of 16

JanH... good question. I honestly don't know. I didn't even know there was a different product, so I didn't look that close at the label.

- Leisel

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 16

I use Dr. Oetker brand Whip It to stabilize whipping cream. You can purchase it online if it is not available at your local grocery store.

http://www.oetker.us/en/on-line-store

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 16

I use Whip It too...It works well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 16

If whipped cream is properly whipped to the right stage it will not weep. It does not have to have stabilization to hold it if it is properly whipped in the first place.

For example if you stand there and watch it as you take it all the way to butter on purpose --then next time back it off from that spot and stop the mixer before it goes to butter--you want it to get to that nice firm stage.

Also you want everything nice & cold but start your mixer on a lower medium speed to ensure all the water molecules get invested in the product. If you start out all super high speed you will make whipped cream but you might not get all the water molecules fully incorporated.

So start the mixer low and ramp it up by degrees as you go.

Add your powdered sugar and vanilla after soft peaks form.

Whipped cream thoughts for you.

Also if you feel you must stabilize, piping gel is an option for you.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 16

K8, if done that way, how long will it hold?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 16

I guess I've never timed it exactly but several days. Long enough to take a normal schedule of several days to fill and frost and decorate a cake and eat on it for a few days more.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 16

I use this recipe from Wilton to put a whipped cream border around my fruit-topped cheesecakes. Tastes excellent, holds up great, and is super simple to make:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Stabilized-Whipped-Cream-Icing
(Mod edited to provide link to Wilton.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%