Warning: Buttercream Dissolves Candy Canes?

Decorating By dljc Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 9:24am by FreeStyle

dljc Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 7

So this wasn't a total disaster as my cupcakes were *just* for my daughter's girl scout holiday celebration but I was disappointed just the same. I put mini candy canes on buttercream last night and by this afternoon, the candy canes had started to run . . . A little messy but they still tasted great. At least a room of 8 year olds thought so (and so did their parents)!

I also got to reuse my cupcake stand . . .

6 replies
alene Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

Thanks for the tip dljc! Hope I'll remember that when the time comes. Cupcakes look great anyway!

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:52am
post #3 of 7

Darling cake & cupcakes!

Yep, sugar will suck the moisture out of anything--the air, buttercream, etc.-- and promptly melt.

If you coat the back of something sugar with some royal, or chocolate, you can fend off the dreaded melt for a while. Or, just put sugar things at the very last minute.

ljdills Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 7

They are still very cute. If your kids are like mine, they loved them just the same ! BTW I love the stand !!!

KTB4 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

Where did my post go? I replied to this already but it's not here?

Anyway ... this scares me since I have a candy barrel to make for tomorrow and was going to use candy sticks for the outside. Yikes!

SS385Monte Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 7

I did the same thing this week, only I used the round peppermints broken up on a cake....by the next day when the cake was served it was just kind of an ooey gooey pile. Oh well, still tasted good!

FreeStyle Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:24am
post #7 of 7

As the others have said, it's true about keeping candy off the cake until the day off. Always wait until as late as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%