Can You Freeze Sugar Cookies With Ri???

Baking By still_learning Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm by cookiedecorator

still_learning Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 9

I made cookie favors for my sister's baby shower but the snow storm that is about to hit the East Coast is forcing us to cancel. I'm not sure when we might have the shower but it won't be for at least 2 more weeks - can these cookies be saved or do I have to do this all over again? They are sugar cookies with RI made with fresh eggs whites (that were cooked in microwave). Thanks for any advice you can give me!

8 replies
PinkLisa Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 9

I froze sugar cookies with RI with no problems.

still_learning Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks! Any recommendations on how to package them to freeze? Most of them have sanding sugar on them - will that be OK? A lot also have RI flowers on them so they can't be easily stacked icon_sad.gif How long do they stay fresh without freezing?

Spuddysmom Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 9

IMHO - You won't be using them for at least 2 weeks? Then you need to freeze them, regular sugar cookies will not be fresh otherwise. Only a hobby-caker, but my experience in freezing those types is ziplock bag - vacuum seal, do not stack in the bag - since they are decorated with RI flowers if you stack them they often crack. You can stack the bags on top of each other. There are probably many more better ways to do it though. Takes some time, but, hey, you're stuck in the snow, right? You got all the time in the world.... Of course, you can always eat them....whose gonna notice? enjoy your snow!

sweetcravings Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 9

Hmmm never froze cookies already decorated with royal icing. I would be skeptical since moisture is royal icings enemy. I would also worry about the sanding sugar. Have you ever washed your hands and then picked up some colored sugar in your hands to sprinkle on a cookie? I have and let me tell you, even the most minimal amount of moisture left in my hands after drying was enough to make the sugar color get all over my hands. Now i use a I would think the thawing process would render at least some moisture to create problems.
I wouldn't risk freezing them IMHO.
Put them in tupperwear with a slice of white bread. Change the peice of bread once it gets hard..this will keep those cookies nice and soft until you use them. I've done it in the past and it works like a charm. My husband and son insist they taste just as good as the day i baked them.

PinkLisa Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 9

I also froze cookies with sanding sugar and they came out great.

bonniebakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 9
sweetcravings Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I also froze cookies with sanding sugar and they came out great.

Hmmm I guess you learn something new every day. I'm gonna do a test on one of my christmas cookies. thumbs_up.gif

cookiedecorator Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 9

You can freeze cookies with royal icing. I lay them on cookie sheets, put them in my freezer for about 20 minutes then I stack them in zip lock bags. I use those little wax papers that they use in the bakery to wrap them and then stack them with bubble wrap between the layers. Works great. To defrost I lay them on cookie sheets and pop them back into the oven for about 2-3 minutes. Let them cool...since they were frozen they don't really get hot but the pan're good to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%