Wedding Cake. How Much Time Do I Allow?

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 12:40am by indydebi

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a 3 tiered wedding cake 12,9,6. Can you give me timeline for how long this will take me? I realize the decorating will depend on my experience. I am just wondering how close I can bake the cake and decorate before the wedding day?

7 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 8

What's the design? What recipe are you using? Using fondant? Which type of icing? I think Super Jan (moderator with the hook up on links) will probably direct you to the "Everything you need to know threads" very soon. icon_smile.gif

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

Here is the cake... I will have the snowflakes done and ready to attach.
LL

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 8

I baked last night for a three tier tomorrow afternoon. Tonight, I will make the fondant (MFF-Michelle Foster Fondant). Tonight I will fill, stack and ice, and tomorrow morning, I will cover and attach my snowflakes as well. I'm doing a snowflake theme wedding cake myself. icon_smile.gif

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 8

For a Saturday wedding, I bake on Wed, Fill and crumb coat on Thurs, and finish on Fri.

Make sure to have more time than you think you will need.

good luck
hamie

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamie

For a Saturday wedding, I bake on Wed, Fill and crumb coat on Thurs, and finish on Fri.

Make sure to have more time than you think you will need.

good luck
hamie

Ditto.

Good luck with the cake, sending lots of positive vibes your way and please post a picture.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 8

I always plan so I have any order finished the night before it is due. Only one time did I figure I could decorate the day of, and it was not fun and I was totally stressed and barely made it on time. Like hamie said, always have more time than you think you will need. I like to finish the night before and then relax and make any minor finishing touches the day of delivery or pickup. Good luck to you! That's a really pretty cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:40am
post #8 of 8

Totally depends on your skill and speed.

I can name that tune, uh, I mean decorate that cake in about 2 hours. Did a cake last weekend .... forgot camera so no pic .... and going from naked cake from the freezer to totally finished was 1 hour and 57 minutes. 5 tiers total. Delivered one an hour ago .... 5 tiers. From naked cake to finished was a little over 3 hours.

But it's taken awhile to get to that point. My first cake was a little 3 tiered job and it took me over 8 hours.

Agree with the above posters .... definitely plan to have it finished the day before. It's less stressful and you have a cushion for those "just in case" things that you never plan on happening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%