Mocha Pecan Bark

Sugar Work By luvlaugh Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm by CookieMakinMomma

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to be making mocha pecan bark for Christmas. I'm not sure how much instant coffee to add. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a tablespoon. Thank you.

6 replies
CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

I have a similar bark recipe I have been playing with, I used 1tsp instant (decaf) coffee for 2c chocolate chips. (bittersweet or dark went better with the coffee flavor) It was just enough of a coffee undertone that you knew it was mocha, but it didn't overpower the chocolate. I also added a handful of whole hazelnut coffee beans and the smell and taste was to die for but we were chewing on the beans forever. thumbsdown.gif I really want to figure that stuff out because it had the potential to be full-on addicting!

luvlaugh Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your ideas they are great. All I have are smi sweet chocolate chips and chocolate almond bark. Do you think that will work? How did you fine did you grind up the beans? You might want to try chocolate covered beans as a topping. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

CookieMakinMomma Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

oh yeah, regular chips would work fine, and almond bark would be even easier because you don't have to worry about it setting up properly. I think when I made it (it was last Christmas so I'm a bit foggy on the details) I used regular semisweet chips and found it a bit too sweet, but that is rather subjective so I'm sure you'll be ok.

I ground about half a cup of the beans rather coarsely and folded them in, and then scattered some whole beans across the top (press in slightly so they stick well). That was WAY too many beans, even despite the bad texture. I wouldn't do more than 1/3c or even 1/4c next time for that much chocolate. I also drizzled it lightly with vanilla almond bark (I'm trying white chocolate this year) and it looked amazing, very gourmet. The vanilla bark didn't adhere well to the chocolate chip base and broke off as I broke up the candy, but that could have been something I did wrong. I should have tried choc covered beans but was too cheap to really look into it at the time. Plus, just using the dispenser for hazelnut coffee beans made me swoon! icon_surprised.gif I may try real hazelnuts and settle for instant coffee next time. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

CookieMakinMomma Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Luvlaugh! I tried the bark again Thursday night and thought I'd share how it went. This time I used 8oz bittersweet chocolate chips (ghirardelli) and 4oz chocolate almond bark, 1 1/2tsp instant coffee, broken up chocolate graham cookies and pecan pieces (no idea how much of either, I eyeballed it). I spread it on parchment paper and then, while still soft, sprinkled it with more pecans and drizzled approximately 1oz of white almond bark over top.

Results: Drizzling the white almond bark on while it was still soft helped it adhere far better than last time, but it still broke off a little. The pecans on top looked great but they didn't stick worth a dang. If the pieces hadn't been so small and the chocolate so soft I might have tried to press them down a bit. Something to try for next time. After adding the initial 1tsp of instant coffee I immediately realized I was going to need more. The coffee beans from last time must have contributed most of the coffee flavor to the bark. I tried to go by smell, adding another 1/2tsp of instant coffee and checking form there. It was still faint but I was afraid of overdoing it and left it be. My sister (whose Christmas gift it was) said she could taste it but it wasn't very strong. Next time I may go by your first guess and add a whole 1tbsp of the stuff. Also, I measured the instant coffee into a small glass bowl, crushed it up with the back of the measuring spoon, and then added it to the chocolate. I think this helped it distribute better. The chocolate mixture, which was essentially 2/3 bittersweet and 1/3 semisweet in taste, turned out well. I liked the faintly bitter edge that it added to the sweetness, something that coffee flavor can't quite duplicate. I used the chocolate almond bark mostly to help in case I didn't temper my chocolate well enough but I think I actually managed this time. I partially melted the chocolate bark and half (4oz) of the chips in the microwave and stirred until it started to smooth out, then I added the rest and stirred til thoroughly melted. I must have managed to keep the temp low enough and retain the chocolate's temper because it set up firm and shiny (for once!).

I'm sure this is far more in depth than necessary, but it actually worked for me and I wanted to share. Plus I have nothing better to do this morning. icon_biggrin.gif Happy Holidays!

luvlaugh Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 7

Hello. I'm glad it turned out well xmine was also very good. I used six squares of the chocolate almond bark, 1 cup of pecans and 2 tsp. Of instant coffee. I turned out pretty good but was a little too sweet. Maybe next time I'll try combining chocolates. As for the coffee it was the perfect amount. Everyone that at it said it was the right amount. I wouldn't put a whole tablespoon, I'm starting to think that might be too much. I also added the coffee to the chopped chocolate and melted them together. It turned out great. Thanks for letting me know how it went.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 7

Oh good idea about melting it with the coffee! I bet the heat helps release the flavor, I will definitely try that next! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%