What Colors Do I Use To Get Chocolate Brown Fondant?

Decorating By crl Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm by bakingatthebeach

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to color white fondant. I need it to be a dark chocolate color. I have tried adding a little bit of forest green to the brown, but it's only a light brown--at best. Does anyone know what colors I need to use to achieve the color I want?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah, more brown.. A lot more. Or cocoa powder if it's really dark cocoa.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 6

are you using commerically made fondant?...you would have to add a ton of brown coloring to get it brown or darker.

You can make your own chocolate mmf by replacing some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder

if you don't want it that dark just us less cocoa. Just make sure you add the cocoa at the melted marshmallow stage..don't make it white and then try to knead it in.

See the chocolate heart cake in my gallery

hth

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 6

I just use cocoa powder to get my fondant brown. The pink and brown topsy turvy cake in my pic, I used the cocoa powder (I use MMF)

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I am using fodant that I have already made. Wouldn't adding cocoa powder now change the consistency? I am not covering a cake with this, I am using it for a figure, so I don't need a big amount.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

Ive made my MMF like I usually do and the cocoa powder doesnt change the consistency of mine, it doesnt take a whole lot. I keep my hands criscoed up so maybe thats why.[/list]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%