Luster Dust On Chocolate?

Decorating By verisimilitude Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm by CrazyCakes13

verisimilitude Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, I've been reading the forums for awhile now, but this is my first post icon_smile.gif

I've been reading a lot about cakeballs, and they sound great so I thought I'd have a go at making some. I'm going to do red velvet cake (something else new that I hadn't heard of!) mixed with cream cheese icing and coated in white chocolate.

What I was wondering is how to get a pearl finish on the chocolate? I plan to colour the chocolate (I'm aware this requires special dye), would it work if I add the luster dust with the dye, or is that a bad idea? I want a really clean, even finish, so I was hoping to avoid possible streaking caused by painting them. Any tips, suggesations, or advice would be most welcome. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
aztomcat Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 7

I have added luster dust to white and tan seashells after they have dried.

I did not use any liquid such as vodka mixed with the pearl or luster dust. The white chocolate has enough moisture that I was able to dry brush on the dust and it gave a very even covering.

Hope this works for you.

Dee in AZ

brincess_b Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 9:24am
post #3 of 7

lustre dust added into icing doesnt work, so i imagine adding it into the chocolate wont work either. better to dry dust them after they set.

JanH Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:06am
post #4 of 7

G'day and Welcome to CC, verisimilitude. icon_smile.gif

Lustre/Luster dust and chocolate or candy melts:


verisimilitude Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for the replies! I'll give the dry dusting a go icon_smile.gif Fingers crossed it all goes according to plan!

verisimilitude Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, one more question if anyone can assist - when people on here refer to "candy" melts, do they mean chocolate melts, or hard candy (like lollies) that you melt? I'd assumed it was some kind of lolly, but now it occurs to me that maybe candy means chocolate?

CrazyCakes13 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

Wilton makes a chocolate wafer called Candy Melts. I buy mine at Michaels. You could also use Merckens and I know there are lots of others out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%