Help! Cakes Falling And Falling

Baking By jessicake Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 5:52am by bananabread

jessicake Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #1 of 4

I am at my wit's end! My cakes are falling. I have had numerous failures over the last 2 weeks with recipes that I have been making for years - weekly or more frequently. My leaveners are all fresh, but today my coconut pound cakes were sunken before they finished baking - - it has NO leavener. My oven is the same, my temp is the same. I've begun using an oven thermometer, no indication of problem there.

I bake in a commercial convection oven. I've always had problems with the fan being too strong (I can't turn it off - just low or high) so I have to turn EVERY pan around halfway through baking. This is not new. I am aware that moving a partially baked cake batter can be fatal, but it has never been a problem before, rather the solution to the ski-slope syndrome.

Today, my tried and true red velvet, did not peak in the center, (usually an issue) and by the end of baking time was completely sunken before removal. I tried again, filling the pans with a lesser amount and raising the temp a little to encourage the peak, and again they fell.

I scale all dry ingredients except leaveners and salt. All-purpose flour from US Food Service, arm & hammer baking soda, eggs from the same supplier as always, same brand buttermilk . . . It happened twice in a row with my green tomato mini cakes which use baking powder.

Please help!!

My last ditch hope is that it's something with the flour? Fresh 50 lb bag coming tomorrow. (they usually last me 10 days/2 weeks)

Thanks.

3 replies
aztomcat Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:01am
post #2 of 4

Jessie,

Its so disappointing when unexplained problems arise.

I'd say try a difft flour and even a new can of baking powder. Just because its new doesn't mean its a good batch.

hope the new supplies help!

Sending good baking thoughts your way.

Dee in AZ

FromScratch Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #3 of 4

I'd say try a new box of leaveners. If not that then maybe the flour? I hope that your baking bug leaves you alone. I hate it when you seem to be bitten my the bitchy baking bug.

This happened to me last week, but I was doubling the baking powder on accident. I felt like SUCH a dumb ass... icon_lol.gif I was *SO* frustrated. I baked the top tiers of that flip flappin' cake 4 times. I threatened to go grab a mix... icon_lol.gif (which if you know me at all this is an indicator of my level od pissed-offed-ness) Then I had my epiphany... "you are making .75 of this recipe"... a recipe that I normally double so I was adding .75 if the doubled amount of leavener. 3/4 of the way through baking the cakes had HUGE craters... I was swearing like a trucker. icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

I hope you can get it figured out. ((hugs))

bananabread Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:52am
post #4 of 4

try to read the info at baking 911 maybe you will find the answer there. When I use the convection oven at bake at 325ª

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%