Cakes Have Crispy Sides

Decorating By juststarted Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm by juststarted

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 12

Hi all, everytime I bake a cake, I get crispy sides. I mean the cake is moist and has perfect texture but the sides are brown and hard/crispy. I checked the oven temp with a oven thermometer and it reaches 350 when I set it to 375. So I always set it at 375 as the recipe calls for 350. also I don't line the pan with parchment paper, I use shortening and flour to coat and the cake comes out nicely. What might I be doing wrong to cause the overcooked sides?

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 12

I find prepping the pans with shortening/flour will give a more "crisp" texture to the cake.

Try baking at a slightly lower temp (340 deg) and use less flour on the pan.

I just grease my pans and use parchment on the bottom for a more tender crust.

HTH

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 12

I bake my cakes @ 325 in a convection oven. When I overcook them I get the same thing. Just trim the sides off. Use the flower nail trick in the middle of the cake instead of a core & you can cook in less time and maybe not overdue the sides.

juststarted Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #4 of 12

thanks a million dkelly, I'll definitely use your method from now (greasing the pan with parchment at the bottom) and also try to reduce the temp a little bit.

juststarted Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 12

thank you amberkw, I don't have a convection oven but I'll try to reduce the temp. I thought the flower nail method is to get the top leveled. I tried that once and my top still had a dome. but I guess I'll try that again.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #6 of 12

that was happening to me too. until i started using parchment paper and reduced my oven temp.
HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:48am
post #7 of 12

I also grease-only-no-flour my pans. I've tried spraying Pam on the pans, but that fries the sides of the cake ...making them all crispy. So I never use Pam spray anymore.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:13am
post #8 of 12

The nail is used to help your middle bake evenly with your edges. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #9 of 12

I use parchment too... even on the sides of the cakes (makes clean up a breeze). Also, a recipe with a lot of sugar will lend itself to having crispier and more browned sides... so maybe look at your recipe?

hpcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpcakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:51am
post #10 of 12

I always bake my cakes at 325 and they always come out moist. Got this tip from youtube. And it really works well and grease your pain really good.

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 12

If your middle is baking evenly, you are not trying to bake it longer to get the middle done, which would in turn crisp your sides.

juststarted Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12

great! I'll definitely use the flower nail method next time in addition to using the parchment paper and baking it in slightly lower temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%