Did I Just Mess Up? Added Milk To Buttercream No Fridge Ok?

Decorating By aej6 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm by indydebi

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I am mixing my Sugarshack buttercream with all the colors tonight to frost a cake tomorrow that is to be delivered/enjoyed on Saturday.
It is a 12 x 18 cake and I can not put it in the fridge.

I just added a tiny bit of milk to thin the buttercream a bit.

Will this be ok out of the fridge for 2 days now that I added milk? Please tell me the sugar is enough to keep it ok! Or did I screw up??

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 9

yes, it's fine. I never refrigerate my icing and I use way more milk than you did.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 9

THANK YOU!!!!
I was very nervous there!!!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 9

Yeh, it's fine. All that sugar you added makes it ok icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

yes, it's fine. I never refrigerate my icing and I use way more milk than you did.

Wow, that's good to know... I have always put mine in the fridge if I need it the next day and then have to wait till it 'thaws' out...thanks for enlightening me once again. I can not even count the number of little helpful tidbits just like that I have found on this website. It's true, you do learn something new every day!!
Thanks again indydebi!!

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 9

Sugar is a preservative, and your buttercream will be fine at room temp. I don't refrigerate my buttercream either.

indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 9

See JanH's post on this thread for the scientific explanation: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-657206-.html

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

See JanH's post on this thread for the scientific explanation: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-657206-.html

Thank you so much for this link! Knowing how to do something is cool, but knowing how and why something works is way cooler. I love watching Alton Brown because of the explanations behind why something works.

indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen99

Quote:

Thank you so much for this link! Knowing how to do something is cool, but knowing how and why something works is way cooler. I love watching Alton Brown because of the explanations behind why something works.

It also gives you better credibility, instead of saying "Because". icon_biggrin.gif When a bride expresses concern over her cake sitting out for "3 whole hours!" (big sigh!), I first remind her that a cake she makes for her family sits out way longer than that, and second, I explain the water activity in sugar, preservative, blah blah blah. Same with frozen cake ... how refrigerating a cake actually accelerates the "going stale" process and freezing a cake halts that process. I sound smart, they are amazed, and all is well with the world! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%