When Do I Board The Cake?

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 3:42am by CarolAnn

masturbaker Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 6

Well, I've been doing cakes for awhile now... and I STILL don't really know how and when to board the cake... and when to finish the decorating... What i do now is just board the cake with a cardboard round or whatever, and then ice it with buttercream. then if i do fondant id put that on... but when do I put it onto the decorated or contact papered cake board? at what point do all of you do this? after all decorating is complete except the bottom border?? or do you put it on the board and then do all the decorating? and what about carved cakes or heavy cakes that are hard to lift? when do you board them?
so many questions, so little time...

this would really be a help! Thanks all

5 replies
amberkw Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 6

After I dirty ice my cakes, do fondant, and they have been back in the cooler again to get hard to where I can move them easily, I then put them on the final board, stack & do my final decorating. My cakes & I believe most would be a mess if tried to decorate first & then transfer.

indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 6

When I remove the saran from it, after it's somewhat thawed. It goes right onto whatever board it's going to sit on and let the icing/decorating begin. It's never crossed my mind to try to transfer a cake AFTER it's iced/decorated.

masturbaker Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

well, that's what i've been doing debi... this whole time i've been icing them first then putting them on the board... i thought that if i iced it on the board already that it would get so messy? but my way is messy too, so i'm looking for a logical way to do this... can't seem to figure it out... ( what does this say about me now? icon_redface.gif )

indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 6

The only 'messy' I get is just the intial icing. Just take a damp paper towel corner and 'wash' the board with it. Just a simple wipe with a damp paper towel and you're good to go!

CarolAnn Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 6

Mine go on the board when I start putting the cake together ( fill, crumb coat, ice and decorate). Small amount of icing on the board to glue the cake in place, add bottom layer, fill, next layer etc, until all layers are on. Place strips of waxed paper under the edge of the cake all the way around to keep the board clean (obviously not needed if the board is the same size as the cake). Crumb coat and ice the cake then remove the strips and add your border. Carefully run a small spatula around the base of the cake to separate the icing from the paper, to minimize icing pulling away from the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%