Coloring Melted White Chocolate

Decorating By Ladybug09 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 5:05am by Ladybug09

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

Help....I'm melting white chocolate chips in order to assemble a fondant bow. I want to color it to match the bow so it doesn't show.
How do I go about coloring it? I have melted the chips & then put color in but the chocolate gets thick before it is completely colored.

TIA!

7 replies
l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

This happened to me and this is waht I learner: you need to use oil-based colors, you can't use the regular icing color because it is water based and causes the chocolate to seize (separate). I had to get special candy colors that are the ones used for chocolate. Sorry!

Ladybug09 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 8

Great. Always something else to get...lol
Thank you!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 8

Yes, I used the colored candy melts. But if they don't have your color, you could try painting the white choc. I haven't tried it, but it may work....

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

Regular food coloring and vodka mixtures bead up on chocolate. If you were to paint it, it would have to be with more colored chocolate. Sorry!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #6 of 8

I was watching Sandra Lee of Semi-Homemade on Food Net Work and she put the food coloring in before she microwaved the chocolate, seems to work pretty good. Although the statement above about oil based food coloring makes a lot of sense to me as well

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #7 of 8

definitely cannot use a water based coloring. water causes choc to seize up (turns thick and hard almost instantly).

Ladybug09 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #8 of 8

Ok thanks guys. I had no idea....now I do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%