Edible Flower Stems? Need Help

Decorating By celiner Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:03am by luvmysmoother

celiner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiner Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 6

Hello there. i am going to christmas dinner and thought it would be a nice idea instead of bringing a bouqet of flowers, that I would make a bouqet out of gum paste. But I do not know how to make stems, or somehow tie the flowers together in the end. I originally made the flowers on tooth picks. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use that would be stable enough to hold the flowers?

5 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 6

make your flowers on 22 guage wire which you can buy at Michaels (make a small hook on one end of wire) when dry wrap the wire in floral tape. then start wraping the wires together in floral tape

see this video

hth

celiner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiner Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the advise....Do you know of any edible solutions that would work?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 6

Gumpaste itself isn't really edible, and neither are the toothpicks. You're better off making the flowers on wire because it's stronger and easier to work with than anything edible that I can think of...maybe spaghetti noodles would work but your gum glue might soften them.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 6

Actually, gum paste itself is perfectly edible--if not the softest, or tastiest of confections. Once gum paste decos are put on wire or toothpicks, they are technically no longer considered edible.

There are no edible supports for gum paste flowers that I can think of. You can obviously make them without any support and place them directly on a cake or cookie. If you want them on stems, spaghetti or thin peppermint sticks might work, but the color is wrong and can't be bent. I haven't done it, so I'm guessing that you'd need to play around quite a bit to make the flowers stick properly to those things.

Rae

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:03am
post #6 of 6

Glico pocky sticks work ok if you really need the stems to be edible (not sure if they are sold where you live but they can be found in most asian food stores and even regular grocery stores where I live)icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%