Chocolate Cake Questions

Decorating By tsal Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 11:48am by tsal

tsal Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I'm baking a chocolate cake tomorrow and I have a few questions:

1. I'm covering the cake with ganache then fondant- is ganache sufficient for the fondant to stick to?

2. I'm filling the cake with whipped ganache. How do I dam a cake that's covered in plain ganache but filled with whipped ganache?

3. Is it possible to cover the entire cake with whipped ganache and then cover it with fondant?

4. Anyone have a recipe for a foolproof whipped ganache? I have one recipe, but I don't remember where I got it from and if someone has a tried-and-true recipe, I'd rather go with that!

Thanks so much for your help!

2 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Hi,

I'm baking a chocolate cake tomorrow and I have a few questions:

1. I'm covering the cake with ganache then fondant- is ganache sufficient for the fondant to stick to?




Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsai

2. I'm filling the cake with whipped ganache. How do I dam a cake that's covered in plain ganache but filled with whipped ganache?




You don't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsai

3. Is it possible to cover the entire cake with whipped ganache and then cover it with fondant?




No, the whipped ganache will cause the fondant to melt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsai

4. Anyone have a recipe for a foolproof whipped ganache? I have one recipe, but I don't remember where I got it from and if someone has a tried-and-true recipe, I'd rather go with that!




Here you go!

1 pound good-quality dark (at least 60 percent cocoa) chocolate, such as Ghiradelli, Lindt, or Scharffenberger, chopped
32 oz heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp salt

Heat 16 oz of cream and the salt to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour over chocolate
Let sit for 5 minutes
Stir with a rubber/silicone spatula until smooth
Chill until completely cold
Into a chilled bowl and using chilled beaters, pour the chilled chocolate-cream mixture and the remaining cream
Whip until stiff


*Please forgive any typos or misspellings. I am typing this in the car as my DH drives and it is 11:30 at night and I've had a total of 15 hours sleep over the past 3 days. icon_biggrin.gif

tsal Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 3

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for replying! It is TRULY appreciated!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%