Help Asap ....how Do I Carve A Cake?

Decorating By CakesByAdriana Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 6:12am by JanH

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

I need to make a womans torso cake.

Do I fill and stack then carve or do I carve then fill and stack?

I am worries about the strawberry filling oozzing out.

I have semi froze the cakes.

5 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

With fruit fillings, I stack and make a basic carved shape. Then I fill (with an extra-thick buttercream dam) and stack. Then I make extra carving as needed. Good luck!

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 6

Thanks sooooo much! That's what I thought.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #4 of 6

I fill, stack, carve.

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:11am
post #5 of 6

I agree with Bella... I fill, stack, then carve... the only time you might not want to do that is when you have a sloppy or runny filling.

but yeah.. you just don't wanna go crazy with the filling and glob a whole bunch in there... if it's a thicker fruit filling just kind of spread the filling on top of the layers nice and even..

I don't see the point in 'damming" the sides with buttercream or whatever first because it's going to be carved away anyway, so no need to dam before you carve... also, I think it's a good idea for your cake to at least be chilled, semi frozen would work well too if it's going to have a filling like that. no need to freeze completely or anything, that would just make carving more difficult.. and the more cold the cake is when you carve, the more the filling will be set.
and just make sure you use a denser cake... nothing light n fluffy..

then after you get the shape you want you may want to just lift the layers slightly if you can and pipe in a dam of buttercream... if you think it needs it. and cumb coat as quickly as possible to keep the cake from drying out!

I suppose you could carve the layers first and then fill and stack again.. but this would just make more work right? and more of a chance for your cake to break.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:12am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%