Please Tell Me Which Option Would Be Best!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm by JanH

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:37am
post #1 of 5

I was making a double-barrel cake for my dad's work for tomorrow, and have basically spent the whole week working on it. Today, they decided to move their gift exchange to next Tuesday, as it appears several people would not be able to go tomorrow, so my dad asked if I could make it for Tuesday instead. It shouldn't be a problem, since I haven't applied the fondant yet and the thing has been well-wrapped in the fridge the whole time, but I'm trying to decide the best way to do this. I baked Sunday and froze, then thawed in the fridge, filled and stacked on Tuesday. Yesterday, I crumbcoated, and they literally stopped me with my large sheet of fondant in hand just about to apply it to the cake today. The fillings are fine to wait a bit longer, and are freezer-stable ... but I'm on call at the hospital Sunday night, and won't be able to work on it then. So! Should I

a) freeze tonight, thaw Saturday and work on it Sunday morning, cover with fondant then, and finish my details on Monday after call is over

or

b) leave it in the fridge until Sunday, and follow the same plan afterwards.

Basically, it would be im the freezer briefly, but I want to find the best way to preserve the moist texture and as much freshness as possible, and don't know which method would be best.

Thanks, and sorry this is so long-winded!!

4 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 5

Does your cake have to be refridgerated??? Does it have fruit filling? If not, I wouldn't keep it in the fridge at all, why not go ahead and put your fondant on and just wrap really well with saran wrap? I too work at a hospital and take call all the time...it sucks because you can't start cake decorating just in case the phone rings icon_cry.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 5

IMHO, having a cake sitting around for a week (Tues. to Tues.) is just too long.

I would refreeze, and thaw Sunday morning (unless it is a huge cake it shouldn't take that long to defrost. However, you could defrost in the 'fridge Sat. night if it makes you more comfortable. Just be sure to thaw in its wrappings.)

And then proceed as you've outline above.

HTH

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 5

That's exactly what I was thinking, thanks so much! Yeah, a week just seems like more than I would want to have it be hanging out before it even gets to my dad, plus however long the leftovers may take to get eaten. I'll stick it in the freezer and work on it on Sunday before going in for call at the hospital. Thanks again!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5

Glad to help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%