Is Anyone Else Not Loving The Beaterblade For Ka Mixer?

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm by Cakepro

Phyllis52 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 26

I just bought the Beaterblade for my 5 qt. KA mixer because of all the glowing reviews I read. I have to make about 600 cookies for my daughters wedding and thought this would be a Godsend. Well, so far it's not doing a darn thing. It's not scraping the bowl. I have tried spritz, chocolate chip, roll out and butter cookies and I still have to scrape my bowl.

Is it just me? Can someone help?

Thanks. icon_cry.gif

25 replies
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 26

You probably need to adjust the head...there are instructions on the back of the package (mine had it anyways) about adjusting the head height.

Phyllis52 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks, Jamie - I didn't see that - now I do, I guess I was so excited to get baking.

I'm really losing it - I can't figure out how this question got in Cake Decorating when it should have been Cookies. icon_redface.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 26

Eh....it's good for cakes too! Good info!

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 26

love, love love my beater blade. have one at home and just opened my shop and don't have one there yet, I could cry with all the scraping I did today. First stop tomorrow before the shop is to buy a beater blade for the shop.

mvucic Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 26

I love mine!! Used it for NFSC, Antonia74's icing and latte fudge in the last week!

Hope yours makes you happy after the adjustments icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 26

If you have to adjust the mixer to use this blade do you have to readjust it every time you change the attachment ie..whisk attach.?

metria Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 26

omg it never occurred to me to check the beater height! thanks for the post/suggestion.

instructions for artisan version (go to page 14 "Beater to Bowl Clearance":
http://www.kitchenaid.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZUSECARE/KSM150PSER_Use%20and%20Care_EN.pdf

ramie7224 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 26

Wow. I feel kinda dumb! icon_redface.gif I never knew I could adjust the blade height on my mixer! I got a refurbished model for Christmas a couple of years ago and it didn't come with the booklet. Thanks so much for posting!

Phyllis52 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 26

Well, my husband looked at the instructions and discovered there is no screw to adjust the height. We called Chef's (where we bought it) and asked them what we could do because our model is way over 10 yrs. old. They are supposed to call us back.

I thought my hubby was crazy, but I also couldn't find a screw to do it.

Are we both nuts?

ddaigle Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 26

Phyllis....I'm with ya hon!! I hate the beater blade. I bought the scraper blade or what ever it is called and the sides and bottom get mixed now. I ordered mine on line, but they have them (cheaper) at Sur la Table, if you have one of those stores.

ddaigle Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 26

Here's the pic
LL

Cookie4 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 26

Just my (.02) - My KA is over 30 years old and after years of baking and Christmas Divinity I have demolished the whip beater. Several years ago I ordered a replacement whip and promptly called the manufacturer because it wasn't reaching the bottom of the bowl. Apparently either the bowl or beater configuration was changed over 8+ years ago which is why old bowls and old mixers don't work quite well with new beaters. This might be what you are experiencng if your KA is older - FYI.

TO: Mvucic - would you be willing to share your recipe for Latte Fudge?

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Kimmers971 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 26

I don't like it much either. It makes everything fly out of the bowl. I have to use my regular beater to get the blending started then switch over so it scrapes the bowl. Not really worth spending the money on.

sillywabbitz Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #15 of 26

I love mine but I have a recent kitchen aide and it worked straight out of the box. I hope you can get yours working.

FromScratch Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 26

You just have to pulse it a bit to get the blending started and not have it fly all over the place. icon_smile.gif

I love my beater blade too. I have one for both of my mixers.

luv2bake4u Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 26

I am having a problem with the beater blades cracking. I'm on my 2nd one and it is cracking after 6 months. I thought maybe cookie dough was too hard on them so I just use them with sugar shack frosting and now this one is cracking.

anotherslice Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 26

I love the beater blade - I have two of them, one for each bowl. For really big mixtures things tend to fly out of the bowl (like when I make up a batch of Sugarshack's icing), even when I put the speed setting on stir. But considering the end result it doesn't bother me too much, I really love not having to stop and scrape the bowl frequently. It saves me time and it mixes thoroughly.
I've had great response, too, from the company website whenever I've had a question. If you keep having problems, I suggest contacting the beaterblade website (no affiliation) since they're very responsive. I have a mixer that's at least 10 years old and they helped me choose the correct beater blade, advised me on whether or not I needed to make an adjustment on my mixer (I didn't need to).
For cleaning it, I put it on the top rack of the dishwasher, and I remove it before the drying cycle is complete to prevent cracking (I hope).

Phyllis52 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #19 of 26

Just thought I'd report back that the people from customer service did call me on Friday and told me what to do. The screw is under the head (almost turn the mixer upside down). Well, we did that, but the blade still didn't scrape the sides - I still had to scrape. Then today, Saturday they called again (which was very nice) and I was in the middle of making biscotti (which I normally do by hand) by wanted to try the mixer again. Nope, no good. Still I had to scrape - it looked like it improved a teeny bit, not enough to keep it. So she told me just to return it.

ddaigle - Unfortunately, I looked at what you have and I don't have a tilt head, I have a bowl lift. But thank you anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I wish it worked......
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

DiLynn Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

Well, my husband looked at the instructions and discovered there is no screw to adjust the height. We called Chef's (where we bought it) and asked them what we could do because our model is way over 10 yrs. old. They are supposed to call us back.

I thought my hubby was crazy, but I also couldn't find a screw to do it.

Are we both nuts?

The beater blade and the scraping blade all are talking about is the same. The screw you are looking for is actually under the tilt head, where the head meets the base, when you lift it up. It looks like it holds the head on but it doesn't. Are you sure it isn't there. I had no clue that, that screw was for that sole purpose for a LONG time. Since, I have adjusted all my beaters several times. My mixer is a KA Classic tilthead and at least 10 yrs old, thats why I thought you might be overlooking the screw. Have you thought about trying a different bowl, or even taking the beater to a store that sells the bowls and compare the fit, or even take your mixer to someone that knows how to adjust the head (service shop). I love my blade, and I NEVER scrape at all only to take the batter out of the bowl. Hope you get it solved because it is a wonderful tool, and saves on a ton of mixing time.

moscakes5 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #21 of 26

I have a KA 6qt and had to return the beater blade. I did everything customer service told me to do. I have a lift bowl and I turned that screw to the point i really could not turn anymore and it still was to tight in my bowl. I didn't feel comfortable turning my mixer about the stir switch, I felt it was going to crack so I sent it back.

thin4life Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymo

I am having a problem with the beater blades cracking. I'm on my 2nd one and it is cracking after 6 months. I thought maybe cookie dough was too hard on them so I just use them with sugar shack frosting and now this one is cracking.

If you contact the company they will replace your beater blade at no cost to you, Mine broke and they sent me a label to send it back and then sent me a new one. They have a 1 year warranty and they do stand behind there product.

Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 26

I love the one I bought for my 6 qt KA but hate the one for my 4.5 qt. There is no "soft start" feature on the 4.5 qt so stuff flies everywhere, whether I turn it on/off several times in short bursts to "pulse" it or not.

I am bit uncomfortable with the resistance that the beater blade places on the motor when the blade is scraping the sides of the bowl without any lubrication from the ingredients in the bowl. If this beater blade causes my motor to fail I am going to be PISSED!!

Phyllis52 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #24 of 26

DiLynn-I think the problem is with bowl lift mixers and of course that's what I have. I also turned the screw both ways and still no good. I even changed bowls.

The whole problem is it doesn't look like it reaches the side of the bowl evenly. It seems to skip places, I'm not sure if that sounds right.

I might have to see if I can find a service shop to help me like you said.

Thanks.
Phyllis

Mel2085 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I love the one I bought for my 6 qt KA but hate the one for my 4.5 qt. There is no "soft start" feature on the 4.5 qt so stuff flies everywhere, whether I turn it on/off several times in short bursts to "pulse" it or not.

I am bit uncomfortable with the resistance that the beater blade places on the motor when the blade is scraping the sides of the bowl without any lubrication from the ingredients in the bowl. If this beater blade causes my motor to fail I am going to be PISSED!!

I just got a 4.5 qt and was starting to think that there were only 3 speeds on mine...

fast = stir
a little faster = middle speed
Watch out I am going to take off = high speed!

I was thinking about calling them but is that normal on the 4.5 qt?

Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #26 of 26

LOL, Mel...yes, that's normal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%