Stopping My Business For A Year :(

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm by Texas_Rose

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hello ladies.
Well, Come Feb 2nd, I will be moving back to san antonio tx for a year, ( in the middle east right now)husband going through some military training course.
Although I miss home like crazy, I'm actually very sad about moving back.
Part of the reason I cant bring myself to talk about yet.
The other part is my business! I just established myself here, have a great rep, great customer base, waaa!! Now I have to stop for a year and come back and start all over!
I'm trying to take it as a learning experience, maybe take a decorating course or something, stock up on all the cake stuff I cant get here..come back and be extra unique....*sigh*
So, just to make sure I understand about all this legal and illegal stuff, since this is going to be an issue for me...

Let's say I'm having a casual conversation with a neighbor, who says she likes cake balls. And I say I make cake balls. If she says to me, "Wow, could I pay you to make me some?" and I agree, is this illegal?

My step dad was telling me to put up a sign in the apartment complex saying I do cakes and stuff, but I read so much on here about "getting caught" and "unlicenced" and "seperate kitchen" and "fines". And believe me yall I know my luck lol. The minute I decide to sell something is when I'm gonna get caught.

So how strict is this exactly?? I assume there will be no way for me to bring money into my home by caking in texas?

at least I'll get to meet my IDOL. and ask for her autograph! There is a cake ball shop called "austin cake ball" WOW. google image ladies!! This woman is a cake ball goddess!! I'm dying to meet her! Or just go to her shop!

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

Well maybe you could see if the cake ball shop you like is hiring?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

I think you all ready know the answers to whats legal and illegal in Texas...no matter how we may want to tip toe around the legalities of home baking and selling. But I am sorry to hear about you having to stop your business. I know what it means to you and how important it is to you. I hope everything works out for you and I'll keep you in my prayers.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

To my understanding you can't accept any money for any food product out of your home kitchen. Some local HD's aren't as anal about it and you probably can do it for a friend and family for a fee, but some are just plain a-holes so if I were you, I wouldn't publicize what you are doing, and certainly wouldn't advertise in your complex either that could cause an issue for you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

I always think of changes in our lives as a Detour in the Road of Life. you're taking a year off, spending time with your kids, with no stress of dealing with customers and brides and issues of "the green wasn't green enough!" stuff. It's a time to recharge your batteries.

Think about starting a blog or an email newsletter (Constant Contact dot com) to keep in touch with folks in your middle east home. This keeps them thinking about you, so when you go back, they'll be excited about "my cake lady is coming back!"

Detours aren't always bad. There's some nice scenery on those backroads of life! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

I totally agree with Debbie..... taking some time off will give you the time to regroup and come up with a game plan.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 7

I hope you're not moving into the complex I live at...it's a horrible place to live.

I know a lot of people who sell food out of their homes...not just cake and cookies, but tamales, empanadas, breakfast tacos, etc...and haven't gotten into any trouble. I don't do it myself because I don't have good luck and I will be the one person who gets caught if I ever do it.

And Cakesdivine is right, you shouldn't advertise in your complex either...as soon as you irritate someone or take their favorite parking place or anything like that, they'll report your business to the HD to get even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%