How Do I Use This Tool?

Decorating By Tammies_Cakes Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 6:05am by masturbaker

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, When I need help I know exactly where to come to.CC
I am making a German Chocolate cake to take to inlaws sunday for x-mas dinner. Can someone please explain how I use this on the side of the cake? Do I let the icing crust first or use it before crusting?
Thanks A Bunch and Happy Holidays to you all,
Tammie

I want to make the cake look like this one.
LL
LL
LL

7 replies
Tammies_Cakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammies_Cakes

Hi all, When I need help I know exactly where to come to.CC
I am making a German Chocolate cake to take to inlaws sunday for x-mas dinner. Can someone please explain how I use this on the side of the cake? Do I let the icing crust first or use it before crusting?
Thanks A Bunch and Happy Holidays to you all,
Tammie

I want to make the cake look like this one.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

You do it before it crusts. Otherwise, it would drag your icing all wonky and look like crap.

Tammies_Cakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

You do it before it crusts. Otherwise, it would drag your icing all wonky and look like crap.

Wow that was a quick response. Thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 8

Go a little heavy on the icing too, that away when you use teh comb it doesn't scrap the icing down to the cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 8

That tool and effect also lets you skip a step! Since you're going to comb the sides, there's no need to get the icing perfectly smooth. Just smear it on and comb it. Done and done.

Awesome. I love being able to skip steps.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 8

That tool and effect also lets you skip a step! Since you're going to comb the sides, there's no need to get the icing perfectly smooth. Just smear it on and comb it. Done and done.

Awesome. I love being able to skip steps.

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 6:05am
post #8 of 8

Yes, you just glob the icing onto the sides and kind of even it out... you want to start with a thicker coat of icing that way you won't scrape the sides of the cake... and like the other posters said, no need to smooth.. the key is to hold the scraper at a perfect 90 degree angle to the side of the cake.. that is, perfectly straight up and down... to do this it helps to get down in front of the cake so taht you're not looking at it from above, but your eyes should be looking directly at the cakes side... does that make sense? that can help you gauge how straight your scraper is.. it also really helps to have a lazy susan or a turn table... otherwise you'll have to walk the scraper around the entire cake and it may make getting the straight lines a lot more difficult... if you have a turntable, then with the scraper held against the icing, slowly rotate the table so that the combs teeth make the design in the icing... if too much icing builds up on the scraper, just wipe it clean and start in the same spot.. eventually you should be able to work the scraper around the entire circumference of the cake without too much icing build up....
i really hope this made sense.. some times I'm not too articulate with how I describe 'how-to's"

but just keep practicing... this particular technique is STILL difficult for me.. i can't seem to get the lines as straight as I'd like... which is why it's a technique I don't use often.... but the good thing is, it's just icing.. if you mess up.. just ice the sides again and start over... you can practice for as long as you like!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%