Need Advise/help Picking Out An Extruder

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm by alene

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 19

I need a real Extruder really bad, and thinking about asking hubby to get me one for Christmas...

Could yall please tell me the best one to buy, I want to make sure I can make long continuous forms, like long seamless ropes and such as, yet easy to use and refill.

Any tips and tricks to using one would be highly appreciated as well...the only extruder I have ever used is a play doe one, its ok for the small stuff, yet very hard to use and very limited as well icon_surprised.gif(

Thanks in advance, Mary/Frosting111

18 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have the brand name, but be sure you get one with a threaded top that lets you easily twist a bar at the top to extrude rather than a plunger type. The ratcheted tops let you extrude with even pressure without hurting your hands. Makes all the difference in the world.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 19

Don't know if you are talking about this one luddroth but I just bought the Makins Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder off of e-bay. Haven't recieved it yet. Hope it's a good one.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 19

I have the one from Global Sugar Art......squeeze and extrude......It works OK, especially well if you soften the fondant a little....but you you have to keep reloading it for larger jobs.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 19

I have the Makins Professional. I love it! It's easy to use, easy to clean, and does everything I need it to. I just knead a bit of shortening into my fondant to get it nice and pliable. It makes a good size rope for borders and such. I've seen others (the squeeze barrel that Sharon Z uses) and heard great things about them, just never used any others. With a 50% off coupon, I paid very little for mine at Hobby Lobby. Highly reccommend it!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alene

Don't know if you are talking about this one luddroth but I just bought the Makins Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder off of e-bay. Haven't recieved it yet. Hope it's a good one.

As good as it gets!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 19

I have the Makins one too, the green one with the twist top, and it's great. If you're making thick ropes you do have to refill it often but it's very easy to use and easy to clean. You can buy more discs for the end to make different shapes too.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks, everyone..so the Makin's Professional Ultimate Extruder is the most recommended one thus far..cool

I'll look one up and get the prices for it and the extra discs and drop a hint in to hubbys ear tonight....wish I lived closer to a Hobby Lobby, they dont sell that brand at Michaels , gosh darn it!!! (stomping foot)

Thanks, I do apprecite all yalls feedback

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 19

I ordered myself one for Christmas (from my DH) off of eBay and it's the squeeze one. I haven't received it yet. But I'm paying $30can vs. $80can from Golda for the same one! I hope this one works good because I could have gotten a cheaper one that twists instead of squeezes. I didn't know which one is best either! I just went for it!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I have the Makins one too, the green one with the twist top, and it's great. If you're making thick ropes you do have to refill it often but it's very easy to use and easy to clean. You can buy more discs for the end to make different shapes too.

Hmmmm, didn't know you could get extra discs! At Hobby Lobby or online? Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 19

If you want a big one that you don't have to keep filling and can make really long ropes check this one out. http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm It's the one Jennifer Dontz uses. I got it a couple of months ago but haven't used it yet.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 19

Oh I forgot to add the link to the one I bought to see what you guys think
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300304357489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Oh I forgot to add the link to the one I bought to see what you guys think
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300304357489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have that one and it works ok if you add shortening to your fondant to make it soft enought to extrude. I have a problem with the handle and barrel getting greasy then it's hard to squeeze and wants to slip out of my hand.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 19

I just got the Makins one from Joann.com for 50% off. I think it ended up being about $12. I still had to pay shipping, but the stores around here don't carry that one. My husband bought me a plunger-type one last year, and it works fine, but I think the Makins will be even better!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:21am
post #15 of 19

I also have the Makins Ultimate Professional Extruder. It's fantastic! And so easy to clean up!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #16 of 19

Is this the correct one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018BOXWQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's only $16 on Amazon.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #17 of 19

I have the Makin's ultimate extruder, and it has all the good qualities that the PPs have already mentioned. HOWEVER, I had a little difficulty using it to make the green ropes in the Christmas cake in my photos. The reason is, I was unable to extrude with only one hand and guide with the other because I need both hands to extrude (one to twist the handle, and the other to hold the barrel). So I ended up with a lot of finger marks all over my extruded fondant.

I think my particular cake design could have benefitted from the squeeze extruder, so if you don't anticipate needing it for what I needed it for then I would go with the Makin's.

GL!

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:57am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Is this the correct one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018BOXWQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's only $16 on Amazon.

Yes, that's the one.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 19

Got my Makins Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder yesterday in the mail and loving it already. Already used it twice. Used it to make shoe strings on my Nike Cake. Sure glad I had it! Used it to make straw for my Manger scene cake....not yet posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%