Local Government Pricing

Business By niccicola Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 11:28am by niccicola

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 11

I posted a while back asking for advice on how to go about submitting a proposal for a government bid process to provide cakes/desserts for a new Rec Center opening.

I've been put on the list and will be sent information in a few weeks when the Purchasing Dept. sends everything out.

Meanwhile, the Open House is being held on Jan 1st and I've been asked to do a Topsy-Turvy and other cakes/brownies/cupcakes to serve 500.

Two questions:

1. I normally charge $4 a serving for regular cakes and $6 for topsy turvy. Should I offer a discount since this might be a great 'foot in the door' opportunity when the bid process comes around? Is it appropriate to ask if they have a budget? I realize some of you will say "you should ask any client if they have a budget" but I don't know if it's different with government.

2. How many servings can you get from a Topsy Turvy, with both an angled top and tapered sides? Do I calculate servings from the top and base of each tier? (For example, an 8-7-6 tier would serve about 32 with 20 servings from the 8" and 12 from the 6", etc, etc.)

Thanks for your help!

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 11

The Government has more money then I do and they don't give me a discount on anything. You price a topsy turvy byt the # of serving you start out with, not what you carv away. I don't know how you figure the # of serving after carving.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 11

Wow....I would never win a bid anywhere! Yikes....that would be a couple thousand dollar estimate from me!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 11

I mean, a bid for any government entity.

niccicola Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 11

Oh, yeah, I'm adding it up and giving them different options (topsy-turvy vs. stacked, sheet cakes, cupcakes, brownies, cake pops, etc to make up for lack of servings from showpiece cake) and it's all well over $1000

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 11

I'm with Tiggy2. They don't give me any breaks or discounts. I would have to work for AIG for that!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 11

I agree...no discounts! They're not into giving discounts.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 11

I have a question...your wording states that you were asked to do desserts and a custom cake enough to serve 500...did they say give us a quote or are they under the impression that all of those wanting to bid will be asked to provide something at the open house event and more than likely be pro bono?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 11

My fee for all that you are saying would be $4500 ($9 per serving)

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 11

I don't mean to rain on any one's parade....everything I read and hear and watch is how the government is broke. There are citizens with graduate degrees living with their families in emergency housing and depending on the kindness of others in order to feed their families. I realize these bids may be for a state or city entity (like the great state of Texas...minimal problems here) or maybe the money may be coming from a private source through a government agency...but I just don't understand. (I know this breaks the politics and religion rule, but just couldn't stop myself). Why can they not do a potluck sort of thing? IMO.

niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 11:28am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I have a question...your wording states that you were asked to do desserts and a custom cake enough to serve 500...did they say give us a quote or are they under the impression that all of those wanting to bid will be asked to provide something at the open house event and more than likely be pro bono?

Well, this event was not under a bid process as it is last minute. In the end, they ordered a small centerpiece cake, 300 cookies, 100 brownies, and 100 cake pops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%