To Ask...or Not To Ask!

Decorating By AmandaKate Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 5:36pm by AmandaKate

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 17

I like to peruse different peoples custom cake websites from around the country just to see all the different cakes and how their websites are set up....

The other day I saw a picture of a cake with a REALLY REALLY cool marble effect on the icing/ganache. I am dying to know how they did it but am not sure if it would be rude of me to ask.

How would you feel if someone asked you a question about one of your cakes who lives in a completely different state and could never be a form of competition?

Should I ask? Or should I leave them be?

I want to be honest and ask them up front instead of copy and pasting the picture on here and ask you folks how they did it......or should I?

Any opinions on how to go about this? I'd love to hear point of views from those of you who do own your own shops...

16 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 17

I am asked all the time. If they have a link back to their site, or I can tell they are far away, I help out. Not offended, feels good to be asked about a certain technique. And go ahead, copy and paste, ask away! It's done all the time. If you credit where the pic is from, who made the cake, you're ok. If you don't get a response from someone out there you are contacting, don't take it to heart either. Ask someone in here, there isn't much that can't be figured out by having a few people put their eyes on it. I have yet to see something done in cake that can't be figured out, without explicit instructions. icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 17

my daddy always says "it never hurts to ask". i would suggest being honest and understanding if they refuse to answer. i don't own a shop though, but i would think they would be complimented in your interest.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 17

I say ask. They will either reply back with a how to, or they won't.

If you wanted to ask those around here how it could have been done, then I would just post a link to the cake you are talking about and ask if anyone knows how it was done. If they do they can help you.

I think it is better to post a link or atleast include their information, so that they get credit for their cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 17

I always complimented when I get that question! If they don't want to share, they can tell you it's company confidential and I think most of us can appreciate that stance.

I'd suggest you make the question specific and not just a general "Tell me how you made that cake!" thing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 17

I get questions all the time, and as long as I have time I'll answer. I agree with Debi, the more specific the better. I usually don't have time to write out a long explanation of something, but if it's one thing I can manage that.

AmandaKate Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 17

Ok, I'm gonna ask!!!!! If I get no response I'll post it on here and let you geniuses work your magic!!! Thanks for the advice!

PS - It just occurred to me.......wouldn't it be funny if this man/woman is a CCer!?!?! lol!!!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaKate

Ok, I'm gonna ask!!!!! If I get no response I'll post it on here and let you geniuses work your magic!!! Thanks for the advice!

PS - It just occurred to me.......wouldn't it be funny if this man/woman is a CCer!?!?! lol!!!

Chances are very likely. icon_wink.gif

AmandaKate Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 17

Ok......so I asked......and got no response. Oh well I will post the picture on here and see what you guys think....fondant?......ganache?......How did they do that!?!???

Image (alt+p)

....I hope that worked

It's by Merry's Custom Cakes in Stroudsburg, Pa.

[/img]

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 17

I'm no expert, but to me it looks like marbled modeling chocolate. It is very beautiful though.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 17

Hi AmandaKate,

That's a lovely cake.

But, I'm wondering if maybe you should give the maker some time to reply to your query before stating that she didn't answer you. It looks as though you gave him/her only 24 hours--not enough time for a busy person to respond, especially if it's a FRIDAY, when most cakers are working feverishly to finish cakes due for the weekend.

Just something to consider. icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 17

Looks like fondant to me.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 17

Here's a step-by-step. It also looks like the borders are thin ropes of different shades twisted together into a thicker rope.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Marbleizing-Fondant

HTH

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 17

Looks like marbled fondant. I think that the shine on it on the top tier is just the light from the flash.

AmandaKate Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

maybe give the maker some time to reply to your query before stating that she didn't answer you

Yes, I am sorry, I agree. I worded that incorrectly. I should have said that he/she had not responded yet rather than they simply didn't respond at all. I am just so anxious to find out how that cake was done that I figured while I'm waiting for their response I could try everyone on here......I figured that I did ask the original cake maker first and gave them a day to respond before asking on here. I felt that that was better than just asking on here without asking them at all or at the same time.......however I did forget that it was Friday and that he/she IS probably very busy.......bad call on my part. thumbsdown.gif

I will let everyone know when/if they do respond and what they say about how they made it......then we can see if your guesses were right! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 17

That is chocolate fondant marbled with white fondant. The less you mix it, the larger your sections will be.
LL
LL

AmandaKate Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:36pm
post #17 of 17

So just to put an ending to the story......I still have not received a response from the baker/decorator.......And I think that it is safe to declare that they probably will not respond since it has been 3 business days and 5 regular days.

Thank you for all of your responses in helping me figure out how to do this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%