Royal Icing Bubbles

Baking By LorenEbert Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm by bonniebakes

LorenEbert Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

Any suggestions on how to reduce or eliminate bubbles in royal icing would be appreciated. I've tried everything! I let the icing sit for a few hours, I use a toothpick to pop the bubbles, I lightly tap the cookie to bring the bubbles to the surface. I even mix the icing very gently to reduce the amount of air - but still lots of BUBBLES!! UGH!! icon_cry.gif

Thanks so much!

3 replies
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 4

You are doing everything right. Unfortunately, there will be bubbles. Sometimes more than others. I've read here that people allow it to sit overnight in order for the bubbles to rise to the surface.
When i ice cookies, i always have a few toothpicks at hand to do the popping. Same happens with glace.

DLo912 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 4

I share your irritation! It stinks, but there's not much you can do but have fun popping the bubbles when they rear their ugly heads! LoL. Good luck and happy cookie-ing! : )

bonniebakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 4

could you try making your RI just a little less thin? I seem to get more air bubbles when I've thinned my icing a little more than I usually do.

another thought is to try to let in as little air as possible as you are icing the cookie... I think in Antonia74's article (?) she talks about going in concentric circles with the icing, keeping the tip down to get as little air as possible in between the "stripes" of icing as you are putting it on the cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%