Help!! Fondant On Wedding Cake Cracked

Decorating By danaintx Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm by Mike_Elder

danaintx Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a wedding cake for a friends daughter - wedding is tonight - she wanted tiers covered in fondant - my first covered cake, I always work in buttercream. When I set the second tier on the first the first tier cracked - I realize I made an error in my doweling and corrected, but what can I do to repair the crack???

Thank you! Feel like crying because I was so proud of how smooth I got the cakes!

8 replies
Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't done this myself, but I read about someone doing it on CC. They took some of the fondant they covered the cake with and added water to it to make a "paste". They then used that paste to fill the crack that was in the fondant and said it worked out great. Hope this helps - let us know how it turns out.

2508s42 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 9

Make some royal icing and fill in the crack. Then take a wet paper towel and wipe off the excess. This also works for pin prick and for the seam at the bottom where the cakes attach to the other cakes.

It the fondant is colored, color the royal one shade LIGHTER than the fondant as it will deepen in color where the fondant will not.

We all can learn something new every day. Don't beat yourself up over this. It is a minor error. Keep your chin up, and you have now learned a new skill!

KHalstead Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 9

yep, do like loucinda said...take a little clump of fondant and put it in a bowl with a few drops of water and microwave it, until you get a glue type of substance, then carefully (because it can be SUPER hot)...pipe some into the crack and then smooth over it with your finger (like caulking) could also fill in and wipe with your finger with some royal icing that's the same color as your fondant.

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 9

I make fondant spackle from a bit of the fondant and some tylose glue.
I used to use RI but the color never matched exactly, this way the color is exact because it is the same fondant used to cover the cake.

danaintx Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 9

Ladies thanks so much, I am going to make the fondant paste as suggested. IT was covered in white, so no color match issues. I am thinking I should stick with buttercream cakes....better yet, no weddings!

Appreciate it, I will let you know how it goes!

FloraFlora Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 9

danaintx, don't give up on fondant so soon! It does come with practice!
If the cracks aren't big, try using crusting buttercream. Put on one small dab at a time, and rub it in. I suspect fondant paste will leave a shinny smear. Crusting buttercream would be a bit less so. But if the cracks are big, then bc will be a bit too obvious.

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 9
Originally Posted by FloraFlora

I suspect fondant paste will leave a shinny smear.

I thought it would leave a shiny mark also but it does'nt, it drys to a matte finish.

Mike_Elder Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 9

I'd have to agree with flora. you get fondant wet you should see where it was spackled. I'd atleast recoment after you put the mixture in the crack. you dust it with Cornstarch!!. In my work. if I'm unhappy. I do it over!!! sometimes it is less work and less time and heart ache!!!!
Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%