Gumpaste Decoration On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 4:36am by mbarbi

mbarbi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:02am
post #1 of 4

hi..just want to ask..will my gumpaste decoration soften if i put it on buttercream??

i made gumpaste decorations as topper for my cupcake iced in buttercream...i just want to know if it will soften after a few hours after it comes in contact with buttercream or will the gumpaste decoration stay hard??

thanks so much in advance icon_smile.gif

3 replies
venuscakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:22am
post #2 of 4

I had the same thing with sugarpaste (think this is the same as gumpaste) decorations on cupcakes.

The first time I did them I attached them the night before delivery and in the morning they were soft.

I would always use some kind of hardening agent such as CMC (gum tragacanth) in my paste and would attach the decorations either just before delvivery or even at the venue itself when you set up.

Hope this helps

TexasSugar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

They should be okay, as long as you don't close the cake and flowers up in an air tight container. If you do that the gumpaste will probably absorb the moisture from the icing.

If you are worried I'd put them on at the last possible minute, but gumpaste flowers are put on cakes all the time. icon_smile.gif

mbarbi Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 4

uh oh..i was going to pack them in clear containers individually..i won't have time in the morning to put the toppers in. icon_sad.gif

i hope they won't soften.. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%