Yes, It's Another Mmf Question

Baking By kakedreamer1212 Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 5:25am by Cake_Mooma

kakedreamer1212 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:03am
post #1 of 7

I usually avoid having to make MMF for a couple of reasons but I have a wedding cake due this Saturday and the bride wants MMF so could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. PLEEEEEEZZZZZZEEEEE!!!!

I melt the bag of marshmellows in the microwave on 50 percent power with a couple teaspoons of water, stiring every 30 sec. or so. Take it out, add half a bag of PS, mix that in, mound the rest of the sugar on the counter and dump the marshmellow mixture on top of that,working more water in and adding vanilla.

When I pull the fondant, it breaks apart. Do I add more water? The recipe doesnt give an exact amount. Can I add glyceryn to regular MMF and how much per recipe?

When I'm mixing the marshmellow into the PS on the counter and adding water as I go, the water gets on the counter top and into the loose PS and makes hard peices that tend to get into the fondant and I have to pick them out. Sometimes I ruins my fondant. How do I avoid this?

Please, somebody.... I'm going crazy!!!!

6 replies
Elise87 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:07am
post #2 of 7

I don't add any extra water to my MMF at all. I melt the marshmallow with a tiny bit of water, add sifted icing sugar till i stir it into a sticky dough and then put it onto another mound of icing sugar on the counter and then just knead in the icing sugar until it is the right firmness and turns out fine.

I use vanilla flavoured marshmallows and find i don't need flavouring but If you need to flavour it try stiring the vanilla into the melted marshmallows after they come out of the microwave. Also have you tried it not adding the extra water cose i am not sure why it needs it.

SandiOh Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:18am
post #3 of 7

I agree , I don't add extra water. I grease 2 bowls with crisco, add 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp water and 1 tsp flavoring (usually almond), add 16 oz marshmallows to one bowl, to the other larger bowl, I sift 3/4 bag of powdered sugar. melt marshmallows in microwave. then when melted, I add 2 tsp corn syrup and stir, then add marshmallows to powdered sugar, and stir with greased spatula until it starts to come together (at this point I decide whether or not I want to add gum paste mix which i use in my fondant for figures and such if I do I add 1 Tbsp). after a bit of kneading, i dump onto greased counter and finish kneading in powdered sugar....I hardly ever use the rest of the bag of sugar.
this recipe came from "thefrostedcakencookie.blogspot" under recipes.
HTH,
Sandi

dsilvest Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:40am
post #4 of 7

I put 1 lb marshmallows, 2 tbsp water, 1/4 c shortening and 1 tbsp glycerine or corn syrup into a large bowl and microwave until the mini marshmallows are almost melted. I stir every 30 seconds. Add your flavouring. Then I start adding the ps and stir. Then I put some of the remaining ps on the counter, put the marshmallow/sugar mixture on top and knead it in. Continue to knead in the ps. I don't always use all of it. You can also make it in the kitchenaid but I find it sooooo messy. It is easier to mix in the bowl.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 7

After reading all the great advice you guys gave me this morning, it inspired me to give the MMF another try. I followed the tips and OMG! what a difference it made. I was so excited, I was almost in tears. My fondant was perfect! (I know right! Doesn't take much to excite me huh?) LOL! Thank you guys so much for responding so quickly to my plea for help. I am no longer afraid to make my own MMF. Hopefully when I roll it out tomorrow and put it on the cake, I'll still be this excited!

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

After reading all the great advice you guys gave me this morning, it inspired me to give the MMF another try. I followed the tips and OMG! what a difference it made. I was so excited, I was almost in tears. My fondant was perfect! (I know right! Doesn't take much to excite me huh?) LOL! Thank you guys so much for responding so quickly to my plea for help. I am no longer afraid to make my own MMF. Hopefully when I roll it out tomorrow and put it on the cake, I'll still be this excited!

Just a note from my LIMITED experience with MMF. When you take it out of the wrap tomorrow it might be a bit too moist and sticky and you may need knead in a little PS. A LITTLE just until it's right consistency. It might not happen to you but it did to me..so just don't be be scared and it will be fine if you have to add a bit.

Cake_Mooma Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 7

MMF is the only fondant I use. I only use 1 bag Marshmallow, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 lb bag of of PS. I melt the marshmallow water and vanilla in the microwave. I grease my KA bowl and the hook attachment. I add about half of the PS, I then add the marshmallow mixture and mix until combined. The dough will still be sticky so add PS in in a little at a time until a smooth dough forms. All the kneading ins done in the bowl so you don't have to do the extra kneading by hand. I use it the same day. If I make it the day before I put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds before rolling it out. I have never had a problem with it. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!!

Vic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%