Monster Truck Cake Tutorial

Decorating By icer101 Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm by snocilla

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:52am
post #1 of 17

is there a tutorial or some kind of instructions on c/c for a 3-D monster truck cake? tia

16 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 17

I wish! I am going to be working on one today. I am making the tires out of RKT and covering them in fondant. I will try to take pics of the steps I do, but I am sure mine will not be the best out there.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 17

GREAT cakes!! How did you get the elevation for the truck? (there is nothing showing that is holding the truck up off the board??) Thanks for offering your help, it is really appreciated!!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 17
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 17

I built a wooden board with 4 wooden dowels and 2 pieces of plywood. Then attached four 1/2" wooden dowels to the board wth screws from the underside and then screwed the top board onto the dowels.
I covered the dowels in black mmf and when I attached the tires I attached them to the dowels with RI and it hid the from the side , you can see the if you look at the cake from the front but they were'nt very noticable.
It took a bit of measuring , a drill , saw and level but it was pretty easy and very sturdy.
I'll make up a diagram in a sec for the base board, gotta go put the kiddo on the bus, brb.

Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks again! Now the wheels are turning.....(I have a hard time thinking outside of the box) icon_wink.gif I will (IM)patiently wait for the drawing. icon_biggrin.gif

(and thank you Cristi too - I appreciate you searching for that for me!)

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 17

I made a quick diagram of the base.
There are no exact measurements because I eyeballed it when I made it but the base can be made big or small depending on the size of the cake.

I do know that the dowels to elevate the cake were 6" tall, the tires were about 7" so the extend a bit over the base.

The cakes I used to make the trucks were a 11X15 and 7X11 so they served about 80 and were heavy but the base was sturdy and I even transported assembled.

Steps:

1. Measure and cut dowels, try to cut them as level and straight as you can. If you don't have a saw see if your local hardware store will cut it for you, most will for free, same goes for the top and bottm wood base.

2. I bought a precut 25"x25" piece of plywood fo the bottom base but you can cut one to whatever size you want. When measuring make sure you leave enough room not only for the cake but the tires as well.

3. Cut top base to size needed.

4.(This is were the eyeballing starts) I traced the top base onto the underside of the bottom base with a pencil were I wanted the cake to be.
I then traced the dowels where I needed them to be, on the inside outer corners of the base. The closer the dowels are to the outside of the top base the sturdier it is.

5. Then using a small drill bit (smaller then the screw you are using)I predrilled the screw holes in the center of each dowel outline from the underside of the base. I also predrilled holes into each end of the dowels.

6.Then using 3/4" wood screws I screwed the screws into the holes in base board so the stuck out the other side just a tiny bit, enough so that I could line up the holes on the dowels to the screw.

Then on a flat surface (helps if you have an extra set of hands but Ive done it alone before)
I stood the dowels up with the base board on top with the screws lined up to the holes in the dowels. Use a level to make sure every thing is straight and level. Then screw the screws the rest of the way through the base board and into the dowels. The predrilled holes should make this easier.

7 .Now put the board and dowels on the top base board and trace the dowels on tot he top board. Pre-drill your holes in the center of the outline and screw the screws part way like before, leaving just enough sticking out of the other side to line it up into the holes in the dowel.

8. Flip the base board and dowels right side up, line the top base board up to the dowels, making sure each screw fits into the hole in the top of each dowel. Screw the screws in and make sure its level.

This is it for the base board, it as kind of tricky the first time because it was basically trial and error, but the 2nd and 3rd time was a breeze. I have no idea if this is the *right* way to build it but it worked for me so hopefully it can work for others.

For the cake I made it on a foil covered foam board and then hot glued the foam board on to the top base once it was complete and added a border to cover the little bit of wood that was exposed at the bottom.

Okay the pic is really small, how do I make it big enough to see?
LL

Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 17

That is a HUGE help! Thank you for taking the time to do it for us. icon_smile.gif ) can see what I need to from the pic. I hope mine turns out half as great as yours did!

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 17

Oh and I just remebered I've been wanting to try one out where the front dowels are longer so the truck is at an angle and I can add a hill so it looks like it's going up, does that make sense?
I think it would be the same steps just 2 longer dowels in the front and a rkt hill built under the 2 front tires.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 17

I've always wanted to know how to make them as well. This helps a lot.

Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 17

OH I like that idea too!! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much!! I will post pics when I am done. I am trying to do them as I go so it will help the next person.

MsLadyCakes06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsLadyCakes06 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 17

OH MY thank you for all the great ideas...I always wondered how in the world did they get that done...thank you

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 17

Wow CakeMommy! That's awesome!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 5:08am
post #15 of 17

CakeMommyTX, your Monster Trucks are awesome!! icon_eek.gif Thank you so much for sharing all of your info, you should really make a tutorial.

I made a 2D Gravedigger this summer and holy cow do I wish I could go back and have a re-do with your instructions! Now I need to convince the neighbors little boy he wants another monster truck for his next birthday so I can try thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 17

Board is done, I used plywood for the base, and 1/2" foamcore for the part the cake is on. I did an 11x15 cut in half with a loaf pan for the cab. I am crumb coating and finishing today, will post the pics when I am done. Thank you so much - I would not have attempted this without your input!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 17

Wow CakeMommy, thanks for the tutorial! I have considered making one before too, and I am definitely saving this post! Can't wait to see how it turms out Loucinda!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%