Does A Wreath Symbolize Christmas Or Winter?

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 11:38am by icingimages

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 14

It seems like such an obvious question, but as I sit here and think about it I don't know the answer.

Can you help me? I need to make a holiday neutral design.

13 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 14

Morning TCP -
It can symbolize either i would think - depending on the colour scheme.
Perhaps a red, green and tinzle for Christmas - or a Blue, white and a snow effect for winter.

Not that we have snow at Chrostmas where i live. icon_lol.gif
Our Christmas's are usually around the 35C = 100F and upward temperatures.... and thousands flock to beach after the Christmas Turkey and Ham have been demolished. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Festive Greetings to you and yours

Bluehue.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 14

Wreaths are seasonless. But they're popular at Christmas time in the U.S. because of the birth of the Christian King of Kings.

Wreaths in ancient Rome and Greece:
(Also present day China.)

Ancient Persians also had wreaths:

http://www.worldofchristmas.net/christmas-wreath/history.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wreath

Royal diadems/wreaths:

http://www.livius.org/di-dn/diadem/diadem.html

Diadems and the Advent wreath:

http://www.amish-furniture-home.com/blog/design-style/decorating-ideas/history-holiday-christmas-wreaths-advent-wreaths-amish-wreath-quilts/

Advent wreath:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_wreath

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 14

I mean I gotta magnolia accented grapevine wreath with dogwood blossoms been hangin on my fireplace for like ever. So it's whatever season you want. Dogwoods are spring, magnolias are summer grapevine wreaths are harvest time and it'll be winter Monday so ...pick one. icon_biggrin.gif

My daughter, a very intelligent chick, has a semester left on her third master degrees, nobody can eat just one said about a year ago, Mom when did you hang that wreath on the fireplace? I said about 15 years ago. Hey, it's working for me. What? She never noticed in fifteen years--shoot I can reset the meter and go for 30 now!!!

icon_lol.gif

travelingcakeplate Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I mean I gotta magnolia accented grapevine wreath with dogwood blossoms been hangin on my fireplace for like ever. So it's whatever season you want. Dogwoods are spring, magnolias are summer grapevine wreaths are harvest time and it'll be winter Monday so ...pick one. icon_biggrin.gif

My daughter, a very intelligent chick, has a semester left on her third master degrees, nobody can eat just one said about a year ago, Mom when did you hang that wreath on the fireplace? I said about 15 years ago. Hey, it's working for me. What? She never noticed in fifteen years--shoot I can reset the meter and go for 30 now!!!

icon_lol.gif

Funny &

Thanks guys!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 14

supposedly it is a ring and neverending to represent the fact that Jesus has no beginning and no end (He always was and will always be)....but I don't think most people realize it's significance

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 14
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 14

If this is for a holiday party for people of multiple religions I'd stay away from an evergreen wreath and everything evergreen. It might not be exclusivly Christian but I'm pretty sure it isn't something you see for all winter holidays. Following pagan practices is forbidden in the Old Testament, cutting down trees and decorating them is described and prohibited, so there could be some Jews who would have a problem with it if they are more traditional about following all the laws.

I'd personally stick with snowmen and other winter scenes. If you really want a wreath don't do evergreen, use blues and silvers instead.

Here's an article about the origins of the wreath:

http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-articles/origins-of-the-christmas-wreath-85910.html

travelingcakeplate Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #9 of 14

OK. Well, they got a nice cake with a cute little snowman, a blue background, snowy hills and coconut or (snow) falling to the ground.

Sorry but the digital camera is still broken so I couldn't get a picture. Thanks all for the interesting information about wreaths.

I enjoyed reading it.

Blessed wishes to you all!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:41am
post #10 of 14

Excellent choice. A lovely Winter theme always goes over well.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:44am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

icon_lol.gif

I have an apple "home interiors" wreath that I change up for the season too , sunflowers - fall, sequins - christmas...

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #12 of 14

I agree with PPs but wanted to add that a wreath is definitely Christmassy here in Australia and not much to do with winter as it's 35C here (100F) and we have ours on our front door right now.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #13 of 14

Depends on how it is decorated/what is used to make the wreath.

As for the holly/evergreen wreath, they originally symbolized winter, but many people today associate them with Christimas, but that's more the secular Christmas or "holidays" than the Christian Christmas, IMHO.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:38am
post #14 of 14

Last night my kids were in a Christmas show at school. They explained that the wreath does symbolize the circle, like the crown on the 3 kings heads. It has no begining and no end like Jesus and that the evergreens that are used symbolize the everlasting love Jesus has for us! Besides the kids being so cute at the show, I actually learned something!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%