Asthma And Pneunomia

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm by Rachie204

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 3

My son is 5, he has moderate asthma and has had a fever since Friday. We already went to the Er once. Anyways I'm positive he has pneunomia and I am taking him to the doctor tomorrow...

Does anyone have an asthmatic child who has had pneunomia? My son has had walking pneunomia before but this seems a little worse...I was just curious if they would be admitting him to the hospital...anyone been through this before?

2 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:48am
post #2 of 3

I've had asthma since I was his age and it with asthma it could be anything from pneumonia, to flu, to bronchitis to a chest cold.

To an asthmatic....everything hurts in the lungs when you are sick and it all feels really bad and the chest congestion is terrible. And each illness is different depending on other factors. My asthma flares up a few days before a storm rolls in, or when the season change...or if I get around cats.

I don't remember ever being admitted for overnight stays...but I went to the ER a lot when I was younger...mainly because the chest congestion was so bad. The asthma prescriptions also weren't like they are today. I haven't had an attack in years thanks to advair...which is one of the stronger asthma meds.

They'll probably do some blood tests to find out if he has an infection and then do some breathing treatments first with a respiratory therapist and see how he responds to those before they admit him. It really depends on how bad he is once he gets there.

Until he goes...the hot liquids and inhaling steam help open up the chest. I hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 3

Cakeforte~ thanks for the response

We went to the doctor this morning and she said he sounded clear, tested him for swine flu which came back negative (i knew he didn't have that...he already had it once and it was nothing like this)

Anyways she sent him to the hospital for an x-ray which came back positive for Pneunomia. Doctor said it looks like it is viral since it is just on one side. She said to watch him tonight and call her tomorrow to let her know his progress and we will take it from there.

He has had to stay over night once before and that wasn't much fun so hopefully he will progress well tonight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%