Less Butter = Cut Out Cookies?!

Baking By warmvanillasugar1234 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm by JaeRodriguez

warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 5

Does reducing the butter for sugar cookies make it less sweeter or not expand as much?

I bought Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix and I want to cut the cookie dough out into shapes but the recipe on the bag tells me to reduce the butter if I want cut out cookies.

I'm planning on leaving some unfrosted and frosted though so would the butter change the sweetness of the cookie? Does anybody have an icing recipe they would like to share (icon_confused.gif

Do you guys prefer an icing that gets hard or one that stays soft?

4 replies
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmvanillasugar1234

Does reducing the butter for sugar cookies make it less sweeter or not expand as much?

not expand as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmvanillasugar1234

I bought Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix and I want to cut the cookie dough out into shapes but the recipe on the bag tells me to reduce the butter if I want cut out cookies.

cutting the cookie dough into shapes is another way to say cut out cookies. so yes, reduce the amount of butter

HTH

Addie2580 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

I used to make Betty Croker sugar cookies for the kids, and yes, you need to decrease the amount of butter and also add a little more all-purpose flour. This will help the cookie to hold its shape better when baking.
For the cookies I usually use RI, but that depends on what u want to do. If you want to individualy wrap you cookies you need an icing that dries hard, otherwise you can use the one of your preference. HTH

Addie icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 5

I was going to suggest adding a bit more flour, too.

JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 5

How much more flour would you guys add if you don't mind me asking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%