News Progam About Bride And Her Unhappiness With Cake

Lounge By JustToEatCake Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm by LaBellaFlor

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 17

http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/story/6633673/

She's unhappy with her cake. This was on TV here today. Not sure why it got moved to the lounge instead of General it is cake related.

16 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 17

I don't see why the story was news...the bride complained and got a refund, and the baker said he wasn't doing cakes anymore, so it doesn't seem newsworthy.

The cake was not that terrible...it looked nice and level. He didn't know about damask stencils, I don't think, but the level of work was consistent with the cakes on his website, other than the three obviously stock photos at the bottom of the webpage.

indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 17

I think she got no where near what she was expecting.

The article has a quote from her about "....and hopefully avoid other people from making the same mistake and trusting someone based on photos and a Web site, she said.

But in the video, the reporter says the bride selected this baker '...after talking with several bakers and checking references...." so it wasn't just based on "photos and a web site".

I mean geesh .... what else could any bride do? Photo of his work was publicly displayed on a website, she saw photos when she met with him, she checked references, she comparison shopped.

I can't put my finger on it, to be able to articulate it well, but something about this slant bugs me.

But yeah, I can't see why it's news either, unless it's news just because he wouldn't talk to her until AFTER the news station went to visit him.

indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 17

P.S. His website appears to still be active. icon_confused.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 17

It's "news" because on our news programs we have a thing called "5 On Your Side" and it's a thing where if you are having problems with something you can call her and they might try to help you. For instance people who hired scam contractors or just recently a college student who didn't get his refund from his last apt, etc...not really serious stuff (to anyone but but the person)but I often find them interesting and some are soooo blantant cheats even with BIG companies (like Southwest Air when they didn't want to refund someone for a flight THEY cancelled or something like that). Anyway I just thought it was a bit interesting because it was on TV today.

Indy I'm with you though something doesn't sound right. I'm not sure what but something. It really doesn't even look to me like same quality on that person's website (my opinion). I feel almost like maybe he went out of town and someone else did it for him or perhaps he forgot..I dunno I just thought I'd share the broadcast.

psmith Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 17

That picture she showed seems like a lot of cake for $345! She also expected a grooms cake too. I can't help but think that she didn't do all the 'research' that she claimed she did. Wouldn't what she was describing cost a whole lot more than $345.

indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:29am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith

That picture she showed seems like a lot of cake for $345! She also expected a grooms cake too. I can't help but think that she didn't do all the 'research' that she claimed she did. Wouldn't what she was describing cost a whole lot more than $345.

You know, I thought the same thing. At $345, divided by $3.75/slice (his price per the website) = 92 servings. If that's a 6/8/10, that's 100 servings. An 8/10/12 = approx 150 servings. PLUS the groom's cake. Of course, he could be using a different serving chart that I do, or he could have given her a discount for whatever reason.

JustToEatCake, I definitely see what you mean about this cake not matching the quality of the website cakes. But he could have had a bad day. I have a cake in my pics where the icing just wouldn't cooperate that day and it's the WORST looking thing I've made in years! icon_redface.gif If someone judged me by that one cake .... well, it's just ok to laugh at it. icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:01am
post #8 of 17

We have something like that on the news programs here...but if you've gotten your money back already then they don't put it on the show. It's more for if you've been ripped off by a mechanic or you paid some contractor and they took your money but didn't do the work. Then the reporters go and hassle them and they give a refund or do the work. All I meant was, if she already got the refund, then it shouldn't be a story.

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:22am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

We have something like that on the news programs here...but if you've gotten your money back already then they don't put it on the show. It's more for if you've been ripped off by a mechanic or you paid some contractor and they took your money but didn't do the work. Then the reporters go and hassle them and they give a refund or do the work. All I meant was, if she already got the refund, then it shouldn't be a story.

I understand your point but I think their point of view probably is that their reporters can't spend too much time running after "stories", filming them (which costs the TV station), etc. to help people that they never get to broadcast because they are afterall, broadcasters and I doubt if they'd make any money if their productions didn't get broadcast. I mean WRAL doesn't pay them to mitigate behind the scenes I guess. Some of them have already contacted the law with no help, lo priority I guess. I think it's more of a public service about "buyer beware" and they show some stories where people don't get a contract, etc.

Honestly I think the "bad guys" only pay the money back because they KNOW their name/face is going on TV (because they have the camera on them)and to save their business or save fact they pay up. But it's a shame in a lot of the stories that even comes to that.

I have seen some where I didn't think the person deserved the refund or the fix. Oh Oh I remember a big one but they DID deserve their money back. There was this lady that bought furniture from The Room Store (big brand here). It was a whole living room set and when it was delivered it was damaged...torn. So the store picked up and ordered another set, after a few weeks it came and it was delivered with tears in the leather ALSO. After a couple of months of calls and letters they still couldn't get This Roomstore Manager to help them...but yep as soon as the TV program got involved they promptly took back the set and refunded the money.

Anyway, if people make it so hard to get satisfaction by not answering th phone, mail, emails I think they deserve to be shown IMO. That's bad business and if they get to pay up behind the scenes what's to keep them from doing it someone else who doesn't go to the News program, ya know?

JustToEatCake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:36am
post #10 of 17

[quote="indydebi
JustToEatCake, I definitely see what you mean about this cake not matching the quality of the website cakes. But he could have had a bad day. I have a cake in my pics where the icing just wouldn't cooperate that day and it's the WORST looking thing I've made in years! icon_redface.gif If someone judged me by that one cake .... well, it's just ok to laugh at it. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

But I know that you are professional enough to deal with the situation with the bride. All things considered, not just the cake I feel like there is more to the story, I just get a feeling somethings not kosher. I mean forgoodnessake he said, after all that work and website "It's just decided it's not my thing" BUT the website is still up. Mind you that wasn't filmed yesterday and he has had time to take it down. Weird.

IMO if he had said something like " I had (insert whatever) happen and I never got her emails but I'll contact her now, thank you. Oh and BTW I closed my business because I found it was (insert whatever)". I'd have felt less suspicious of him. I'm sure he's not going to make that mistake again though, whatever he does and I am glad she got some satisfaction.

You know when I saw the cake on TV today I also thought it was a "card" cake..so I laughed when she said someone asked her that. I thought hubby was into vegas or something but the Mickey thing went a bit too far.

cylstrial Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #11 of 17

I have to agree - that cake wasn't very nice!

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 17

Oh My Goodness!!! That cake is AWEFUL!!! He should have refunded the money. But you know what? To me it sound slike the person just started decorating cakes Kind of like "Hm, I think I'll start a cake business today!" There is now way that bride would have gotten the damask cake she asked for, PLUS a groom's cake for $345 from me!

Mensch Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 17

Actually, there was really nothing wrong with the cake they got. It looked okay.

It wasn't, however, the cake they ordered, and the money should have been refunded right away.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 17

Mensch click the picture for an up close view. It is square, but the frosting and piping job is very subpar. Also look at the flowers on each corner. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be, but if they are roses, they look realy bad.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 17

So I just checked the website and I don't believe the cakes on the homepage are done by the shop. The gallery cakes are very different in style and work from what you see on the homepage. The cake that was delivered, though very far from what was requested, looks along the same lines as the cakes in the gallery. I can't see paying for those cakes.

Mensch Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 17

Well, no different from most of the cakes one sees around here....

It may be sub-par, but there's still nothing really wrong with it. If someone had ordered a cake with that design there's no reason to be ashamed of the work. Sure, I could have done a better job and so could you have, but for 98% of all cake decorators... it's just fine.

However, it's not the cake that the couple ordered, and therefore all monies should be returned.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 17

Hmmm, you may have a point. If someone on this site had put that same cake in the "Cake Disasters" forum, saying a birde was complaining, I can think of several people on here who would tell the person "Oh, that cakes doesn't look so bad. I think it's beautiful".

Bit, I'm sorry, that design is shameful. It looks NOTHING like the damask design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%