Need To Make Eagle Scout Emblem In Fondant

Decorating By andrea57 Updated 29 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm by msmeg

andrea57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea57 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 15

I'll be making my son's Eagle Scout cake and I'd like to make the Eagle Scout emblem. I saw the wonderful cakes in the Cake Gallery, but I have no idea how to make the Eagle emblem. If it can be made in advance and in fondant and placed on either buttercream or fondant cake - that would be great! Thanks in advance for the help!

14 replies
dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 15

What I do when I have to put an emblem on a cake is get tracing paper and trace it and cut it out in fondant and gumpast mix. If I need the emblem to be larger I take it to Staples and tell them what size pan I am using and they make it to size. The last one I did was a pirate for a varsity jacket and I had them make a couple of copies so I could cut out things like the eye patch
to make it look more 3 D . I hope this helps .
Denise

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:21am
post #4 of 15

I took the best pic I could find in the gallery that I could find, and the best pic of the emblem I could find and used as guides.
*I then took the pic and enlarged in on a copier, cut out and used as stencil. Then , using the pics as guides, I took small pieces of fondant and added to areas to give dimension (body, wings, talons, etc),
*Used toothpic to add texture to wings, body, branch (feathers, etc). Once set, I painted with silver luster dust, let dry and added to the cake.
*made a fondant ring for the bottom of the ribbon on which the eagle hangs and painted with fondant.
*I made the ribon by making a base of white and added the colors.
*made the

It was the only way I could figure out how to get it. It would be great if someone made a mold for this then sold it on the web... hint hint to you great mold creaters out there.

Good luck.

Sandy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 15
DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for this thread. I'm also making a Eagle Scout cake for my son's best friend. I love the mold! Can't wait to see how your cake turns out. there are some good ones on here.

andrea57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea57 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 15

To each of you who responded, thanks for the great tips! This will definitely make the labor of love - making my son's cake - fun and exciting!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 15

I envy you being able to make your son's Eagle Scout cake!

I had eagerly looked forward to that day, but by the time my son completed his Eagle Scout project he was on his way to college, and being a guy who hates all the hoopla directed at him, declined to have a public ceremony. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif I was a sad mom.

Anywho- congrats to your son!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 15

I have seen some candy molds with scouting emblems. You could use fondant in one of them (if you have enough lead time to order the mold online.) Congrats on your son's accomplishment!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #10 of 15

I looked for hours on the web for just the right mold. Those are perfect. As you saw, I had to do it the old fassion way. Congrats and good luck on the cake.

Sandy

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 15

If you have a Cricut get Linda McClures new video. She shows you how to use your scanner to upload any picture and then use the Sure Cutes A Lot program to have the Cricut cut it out. Also, a new technique where the Cricut will emboss a 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix. Saw a police badge she made using this technique. Very nice and detailed.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:53am
post #12 of 15

I've got two Eagle scout cakes that I need to make for this Saturday (yes, the day after Christmas. Fun, fun). I'm wishing right now that I had one of those Eagle candy molds. Since I don't I'm going to try making my Eagle emblem on fondant by tracing the design on parchment paper then using a very sharp pin to apply a sort of connect-the-dot pattern to the fondant. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try the buttercream transfer method, but I've never used that method before so it kind of makes me nervous. Let us know what you end of doing! I'd love to see a photo of the finished product!

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 15

Have you considered doing the emblem in a color flow piece instead of fondant?

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 15

Another option would be to print the emblem out using and Edible printing system, this would be a huge timesaver. I have done many of these for customers and if you are interested I can get one printed out and sent over to you.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 15

I did colorflow for my boys eagle cakes I used the invitation and enlarged the picture then used a light box to make the colorflow on a gumpaste plaque.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%