Mousse Filling Anyone?

Baking By andrea57 Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm by CakesByLJ

andrea57 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 8

I'll be making my brother-in-law birthday cake this week-end and had two questions: I'm looking for a chocolate mousse filling (whipped, but stable so that the cake layers won't slide), and can I use Swiss Meringue icing under fondant? Love this website! Thanks!!!!

7 replies
Elise87 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

I used this one once and everyone said it tasted great! nice and chocolately too:

REAL CHOCOLATE MOUSSE FILLING:

-1 envelope unflavoured Gelatin
-2 tblsp cold water
-1/4 cup boiling water
-2/3 cup sugar
-1/3 cup cocoa
-1 + 1/2 cups cold whipping cream
-2 tsp vanilla essence

- In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand for 1 min to soften.
- Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear and cool slightly.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar and the cocoa: add cold whipping cream and vanilla essence.
- Beat on medium until stiff. Pour in gelatin mixture and beat well until blended

*I recommend putting it in the fridge for a bit to firm up with the gelatin or you can leave it overnight in the fridge and then just leave out for 15 mins next day and then just stir it a bit with a spoon before putting in the cake*

HTH

BrendaLeigh Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 8

Hi there I found your recepie and was wondering if you might have an answer for me. My Aunt wants this kind of filling for a German Chocolate cake. Do you think the combination would work well together? Also once the cake is made would it need to stay in the fridge until serving or will it be fine to sit out for a Ann. Party? thanks for you help. BrendaLeigh

Elise87 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #4 of 8

not sure what german chocolate cake is but I think this choc mousse filling with go with any chocolate cake icon_smile.gif

If you put it in a cake you will want to keep the cake refrigerated however around serving time you can leave it out for maybe a max of 2 hours if it's in room temp or cooler then pop it back in the fridge again. I don't know how long some people leave theirs out whether it is less or more time but i am fine with that amount of time

HTH

Jeep_girl816 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

This one works really well and is super easy, just use Chocolate pudding instead of the vanilla! http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7308/costco-mousse-recipe

Deb_ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

Another option is to use a Whipped Ganache....if you're not familiar with it, it is sort of like chocolate whipped cream but it sets up well and won't slip and slide.

Here's one that I use.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2358/whipped-chocolate-ganache-ii

egensinnig Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

SMBC is works fine under fondant

CakesByLJ Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Another option is to use a Whipped Ganache....if you're not familiar with it, it is sort of like chocolate whipped cream but it sets up well and won't slip and slide.

Here's one that I use.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2358/whipped-chocolate-ganache-ii

Does this require refrigeration after filling/torting a cake with it? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%