Anyone Use Design Software?

Business By brgrassmyer Updated 18 Dec 2009 , 1:41pm by bobwonderbuns

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 17

I was looking at Wedding Cake Design Pro software and was wondering if anyone uses it. I am really a tech type person and love to do everything on the computer. I do sketch my inital designs and then have brides approve them, but I just thought that this CAD would give more details. Any thoughts?
TIA
Brooke

16 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 17

I just got it a few days ago. I haven't spent too much time on it yet but I generally like it. It has some limitations and is sometimes hard to maneuver things. I'm glad I have it.

brgrassmyer Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 17

pinklisa-by looking at the site, there were lots of packages and add ons. which package did you buy? and did you download or buy the disc?
thanks

PinkLisa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 17

I downloaded it since I wanted it right away. Then I copied it to a disk. I bought the beginning package with the extender colors.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 17

I love techy stuff too. It's on my "to buy" list..just haven't purchased yet. Right now I just use photoshop.

PinkLisa Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:24am
post #6 of 17

I just bought Photoshop with my new computer and am very disappointed. I'm hoping that I don't know what I'm doing yet.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 17

lol it's prob the latter. I make everything in photoshop. It took me a few months to learn the tools and figure out what everything does. but now it's all I use for creative/ marketing projects.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

lol it's prob the latter. I make everything in photoshop. It took me a few months to learn the tools and figure out what everything does. but now it's all I use for creative/ marketing projects.

Agreed, Photoshop is a very powerful program. You can probably sign up for a course on it at your local community college if you're interested in using it to its full potential. Considering the program is also quite pricey, a course is a good investment in your purchase.

brgrassmyer Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #9 of 17

thanks for all the replys. i did go ahead and buy the software today and actually used it for my consulation that i did tonight. the bride and groom were very impressed. so far so good icon_biggrin.gif

PinkLisa Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 17

Great. I'm glad you like it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 17

I use it quite a bit to show bride's how their cake will look in 3-D......soemtimes they just have trouble envisioning the cake the way I do. A couple of times it has actually saved me an angry bride I think......they think they know EXACTLLY what they want, and even when I say certain colors won't look good together...they KNOW what they want. Then they see the 3-D mock up and realize it's hideous! LOL

Here's a few cakes I've done...first is the WCDpro cake and then the real thing after it was made into real cake. They're not EXACTLLY perfect to real life,, but close enough to get the idea!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 17

Wow! Now I'm curious -- where can we get this program?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 17

got mine for $39.99 at cal java online . com

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 17

I bought it last year & downloaded it on my son's computer which was practically brand new. It kept freezing up, and would only allow me to make 2 additions to each cake. So I could add a ribbon and a flower, but then I couldn't add any other embellishments; very aggrevating. So I don't even bother with it anymore. Wasted $90 in my opinion. Looking to buy photoshop and learn how to use it instead.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #15 of 17

Okay, for those who have both, I do have photoshop but I'm not very good with it. About all I can do is size pictures. Can cake design be done on photoshop or do I need this other program too? Do they work well together?

brgrassmyer Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 17

KHalstead- thanks for the pics. it is really great to see the 3D image come to life. i have 2 "sketches" due and am really excited to work on them using the software. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 17

Well what the heck, it's been discontinued???

http://www. caljavaonline .com/wcd1.htm

(cut and paste into browser removing the spaces -- it's the only way I could get this to post without advertising GSA.) icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%