Cake/cookie Photography Suggestions

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 5:37am by Skirt

CookieMeister Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 11

I made the most wonderful batch of cookies yeserday - I was quite proud of some of the detail (toot, toot my own horn). This morning, I took pictures, packaged them up and shipped them, and then uploaded the pics to my computer. What a disappointment! You can't even begin to see some of the detail!

This is not my first time with this issue. My camera is a mid-range, new Canon Powershot, 10 MP. I generally take them on my dining room table - it has a 6-bulb light fixture right overhead and is a bright room.

What am I doing wrong? What lighting tricks, etc. will make my pictures more viable for my portfolio?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1539350

There is the cutest quilting on the purses, and you can't even see it! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
ccr03 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

You have pretty good camera. I LOVE Canon!

1. When you want detail, put the camera on macro setting. It'll let you focus real up close.

2. Natural light is best, if not available add more light (with a lamp), but not directly to the cake/cookies.

3. Try to envision what kind of shot you want w/o the camera. Figure out what you want to get in the pic and then get the camera to take it.

MainCake Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 11

Great cookies! They look awesome icon_smile.gif

Maybe invest in a few pieces of good quality, neutral colored fabrics to lay across the table to set your items on? I think a white or ivory would have made those cookies pop, but for white cakes with light detail you might want a darker color to make that pop.

I keep meaning to do this myself, but I want rods to hang them on so I can roll them up to avoid wrinkes (or ironing every time I take a cake pic). For now, I just set my cakes on a stool in front of my dining room wall which is a neutral tan color. It works pretty well.

chefjulie Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 11

I use a white tablecloth draped over my kids puppet theater (They never liked it, so I stole it icon_smile.gif) as a backdrop. Helps a ton! You may want to invest in a light-box (around $100) if your lighting is not working for you. I have a Canon DSLR which I LOVE because I control the settings/ ISO. A lot of times, a flash does you more harm than good. If you have the ability to shoot outside in natural light, that will almost always provide the best lighting.

cakesage Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #5 of 11

First of all, the cookies are beautiful. I sell on Ebay and taking good pictures is vital to my sales. You just need two colors of fabric- one black and one white. With the white fabric you don't even need a flash sometimes. This depends on already existing light. You don't need no more than a yard for each fabric. It shouldn't cost you much either, try Walmart, thrift stores or a flea market. Just make sure the fabric is solid black or white. The eyes are very tricky and you want all the attention on those gorgeous cookies! javascript:emoticon('thumbs_up.gif')

just_for_fun Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:59am
post #6 of 11

Such cute cookies! I see the detailing on the cookies. The color on the cookies "blends" too much with you table top, so a cloth or piece of fabric would help alot.

AmandaLP Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 11

I agree with those above about the backdrop.

You can also make an inexpensive light box (just google DIY lightbox for a few good tutorials.) There are also a lot of good google searches on food photography for general help.

You can try to color correct the picture, either from the camera or from the computer. I live in a RailRoad apartment, which means that my kitchen gets NO natural light. I shoot with daylight bulbs to match the light structure.

globalgatherings Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 11

Thanx OP for asking this question, I struggle with my photography too! Does anyone know if PSNEED the cookie artist, has a tutorial on her photography. Her photos always look so cool.

OP love your cookies, great job

Kelly

just_for_fun Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 11

globalgatherings, Check out her blog cookiecrazie.blogspot.com.

globalgatherings Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:28am
post #10 of 11

Thanx, justforfun, I'll try that

Kelly

Skirt Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:37am
post #11 of 11

I know bakerella uses scrapbook paper for some of her backgrounds. If you check her blog you'll see what fabulous pics she takes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%