What Items Do You Use For Impression Mats?

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 17 Dec 2009 , 7:23am by mrsc808

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure what type of pattern I want for my fondant on my cookies and don't want to spend a lot on a mat. What do you guys use for substitutes?

I have gone completely blank thinking about what to use.

Thanks so much.

6 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 7

Placemats
Fabric
Foam gardening mats
Just look around the house for texture. You have hundreds of different surfaces. Think about when you were little and made pencil rubbings on different surfaces.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 7

I have a pastry wheel with different head attachments on it. I can make a lot of different texture details with it.

young9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
young9 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

go to the store and look at all the different brands of paper towels. some have heart patterns, circles, diamonds. i've used them on BC, but not fondant so i don't know if you could get enough pressure on them to work. just an idea..

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7

I had to cover our reception desk yesterday at work and someone sent our company a beautiful card that was made out of very thick cardstock with a beautiful texture pattern on it. I put it on the "card table" for the rest of the day and then I took it home with me. LOL Karma might get me for that one, but it just goes to show that you can use some pretty common everyday items. icon_smile.gif

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone - I'm going to go to the store and keep my eyes open for something. I'll also search the house!

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:23am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

I had to cover our reception desk yesterday at work and someone sent our company a beautiful card that was made out of very thick cardstock with a beautiful texture pattern on it. I put it on the "card table" for the rest of the day and then I took it home with me. LOL Karma might get me for that one, but it just goes to show that you can use some pretty common everyday items. icon_smile.gif

LOL, my boss got a card that had a great design for stenciling and I SO wanted to take it but he tossed it in the trash.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%