Help! 70Th Birthday School Secretary Cake. . .

Decorating By kellihope Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 2:15pm by j_arney

kellihope Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 2

Ok people I am wiggin', lol! This is the very first cake I have to make for someone else and I am stumped!! I was asked to make a brthday cake for the 70 yr old secretary at the school I work for. The person who asked me said she is into "world events" and loves her grandkids. . .so originally I thought I would make a planet earth cake and have children all around the outer edge of the cake, sort of like this one:
and this one:

but I don't have any fondant or a ball cake pan, so I was planning a 2 layr cake with a dome on top made from a stainless steel bowl. I'm chickening out now though b/c I've only made 4 cakes in my life and think it might be too tricky to pull off. . .

So then I thought maybe I would do something like:

but I don't really have the tools it would take to write her chidlren's names on the cake, so my husband thinks I will have to explain what it is.

Can you give me some ideas for how a beginner can do one of the above designs or perhaps direct me to an easier design idea??
I need to make the cake by tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, so I might be cutting this a bit tight!!

Thanks for your help!
- Kelli

1 reply
j_arney Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 2

I think you're better off making a great basic cake then venturing off to something new that may or may not come out well. Especially since you don't already have the supplies. Can you just make a cake with no theme? Maybe just some flowers, a border, etc? She will appreciate it regardless of what it looks like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%