Attaching Glitter To Airbrushed Fondant

Decorating By Sue9069 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm by ibmoser

Sue9069 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 5

How do I attach glitter to an airbrushed fondant cake? I'm airbrushing the fondant a really light blue and then covering it with the glitter to give it an icy look, and then attaching snowflakes. How do I get the glitter on? I certainly can't wet the fondant so it will stick, and I'm having a brain cramp on how to accomplish this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
margi24 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 5

hi, did u figure out how to stick the glitter to your air brushed cake? Im wanting to do somethin similar on a cake board but without the glitter getting on the cake itself?

Sue9069 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 5

icon_sad.gif Nope, sure didn't. If I would have left it white and not air brushed it, I"m sure that I could have used a little mist of water or something to hold it. I couldn't get it figured out. By the time I was done experimenting, I ended up re-covering the entire piece in white fondant and added some shimmer sprinkles (I'm sure they have a real name) on the top to make it glitter. I think the biggest hinderance was the fact that I air brushed it in a light blue, and couldn't spray it because it kept running in places. If you figure it out, please let me know! icon_smile.gif

tenleysmommy Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 5

You could have added the shimmer as soon as you airbrushed.After you airbrush your fondant is damp and slightly sticky.I would have put some shimmer in my hand then used canned air to spray it on my cake.Give it a try next time,it has worked for me.

ibmoser Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

You can actually use your airbrush to apply the glitter rather than expensive canned air (and doesn't "regular" canned air now have a nasty-tasting additive to keep people from huffing ??) - just have your pigment cup empty and dry and lower the pressure. Use air only to distribute the glitter. Bronwen did this in a demo to apply glitter to swirls she had piped with clear piping gel - beautiful effect. 'Course everything she does is spectacular icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%