Help On Making Fondant Animals??

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm by all4cake

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hello; just wondering if anyone knows of any good tutorials on how to make little animals out of fondant? specifically a monkey, lion, giraffe, hippo and elephant? thanks.

also if anyone knows of a good fondant recipe to use for this? i have one, but it keeps turning out dry and cracking like mad.. i dont know if its because it been really hot today???

sorry, new to this! thanks for your help!

Emily icon_smile.gif

3 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 4

someone had posted this link before when this subject came up, it's making animals out of clay...but same principle...this doesn't have directions to make the specific animals you wanted, but you'll get a good idea how you can do it anyways.

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/clay-critters-709050/

I like to make my animals out of candy clay (modeling chocolate) and/or a 50-50 mix of candy clay and fondant. fondant alone, generally doesn't work as well for me.

good luck and HTH!

Sandi

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 4

Here is Summer Noelle's animal tutorial. It has some of the ones that you want.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593709-.html

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 4

Hi Emily! Welcome to CC!

I usually use a 50/50 combination of fondant and gumpaste...I want them to dry fast but not too fast (I get cracking issues when I use all gumpaste and/or I use too much cornstarch when forming them).

The Sculpey clay site has oodles of tutorials of various things, including animals that can used with fondant, modeling chocolate, or gumpaste. Also, youtube has a view tutorials on different items...youtube.com and type what it is you're looking for in the search field...that goes for the forum search on CC as well...search the forums for pretty much anything...more than likely, it's in there.

All the best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%