How To Utilize Facebook As An Advertising Tool....

Lounge By masturbaker Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 12:53am by nj4tj

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:23am
post #1 of 39

SO far I've stayed away from the myspace and facebook cults! But after reading so much about it on here I went and opened up a page on facebook. I am completely new to the facebook scene and was wondering if any of you could tell me how you use it as a means to get your name out there... I'm not necessarily looking to "advertise" on facebook, but I just want people to know I do cakes and to see my work and to know how to contact me.....

Do you just add random people? And what do you write about yourself? Do you put your price points and all that or do you just put pictures of your cakes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

38 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:05am
post #2 of 39

Most places I've seen do not put pricing info on their Facebook page, or go much further than simply talking about their work. Some of my friends have a page, try looking at Cotillion Events (Ohio/Kentucky area)-- or even Ron Ben-Israel ....both have Facebook pages.

Mainly it is to showcase pictures, provide updates about events and let people talk about your work. If you have a webpage, you can advertise it there and then that is how they can get any pricing info on your product. Facebook is more for networking socially about your business, but not really for giving out all the info for the business. That's what your personal website would be for.

Of course people can always contact you on Facebook and ask about pricing, and you can start a conversation privately or direct them to your website.

HTH!

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:14am
post #3 of 39

I don't know if you do weddings or anything, but when I was a wedding/event planner, I made a myspace for my business. I didn't get any business from brides or clients, but it was a great tool for networking with other people in the biz.

I just added other vendors like florists, DJs, caterers, photographers, etc. that were in my area. The myspace was almost like my blog area. I had pictures up, talked about the business, told anyone who wanted to know stuff that was comin up, of course, direct them to my site for more info, stuff like that. But the big thing is networking. If prospective clients DID look at myspaces for pics and such, they would have a wealth of info on other vendors just by looking in the friends list.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 39

I just gave in 2 and started a FB page, mine just has pics and a link to my website.
What's your url I'll become a fan of your page?
I only have about 30 fans so far, I know sad but I don't know how to get more people to add me either.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 39

Ive got a facebook group started under the home business category. It was initially a closed group where the access if limited but now its an open group. I havent put any price indicators. I just post pictures and enjoy all the lovely comments i get icon_smile.gif . It has definately got me alot more business.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

Mainly it is to showcase pictures, provide updates about events and let people talk about your work. If you have a webpage, you can advertise it there and then that is how they can get any pricing info on your product. Facebook is more for networking socially about your business, but not really for giving out all the info for the business. That's what your personal website would be for.

That's exactly the way we use it as well! It's a great place to add pics that you wouldn't put on your website.

masturbaker-

I started our page in late October so it's still pretty new to me, but I can make a couple of suggestions: Go with a FAN page instead of a group or a personal page. It's much more powerful for someone to see that their friend become a FAN of Piece of Cake than it is to see their friend join a group named Piece of Cake.

Also...Don't post too much. What you write on your fan page wall will appear on the news feeds of all of your fans. Posting 3-4 times a day makes you like an email spammer and you will start to annoy people very quickly.

As far as advertising, we just do it on our web page and our blog and once you get a few fans it starts to advertise itself (everyone sees if their friends become fans and some are compelled to see what their friends are fans of). I am amazed that former brides have been popping up and posting pics of their wedding cakes on our fb page. If used correctly Facebook can be a nice addition to the rest of your marketing and allow you to have a little fun with your customers

Our page isn't necessarily a model but if you want to take a look, here it is: http://www.facebook.com/PieceOfCakeAZ

Best of luck!!

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 39

Hello!!

I have a myspace page and a facebook page , originally to connect with friends and family but as I started doing more cakes that became what my pages were about. Sometimes people contact me for price quotes and on occasion it can go further. I like to also use them to network with other cake decoraters and ask them questions and admire their work just like here on CC.

masturbaker Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 39

Thanks "PieceofCake"... great stuff.. but how do i make a fan page as opposed to just a regular page... that sounds like a good idea.. then I can have my own personal page AND a fan page for my cakes....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 39

At the bottom of your facebook home page there's a little task bar with icons...Hover over them and see if one of them says "Ads and pages." I don't know if that only shows up after you have a page or not, but it's probably how to get started. If it's not there, just type in "How to start a page for my business" in the facebook help box.

It's good to keep your personal and business separate, because if people are your friends they can see your personal wall where your other friends post. I have friends who post some "interesting" things sometimes, and I don't necessarily want other people seeing that.

costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 39

I found it...Go to the bottom of the facebook page, click on "help" and the page help center is in the second group of links under applications and features.

You do NOT need to pay for advertising on your page, they will keep popping boxes up to get you to sign up to do that, but you don't have to.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 39

masturbaker

No problem! Here is the link with everything you need to know about facebook fan pages!

http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=904

masturbaker Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 39

wow!! You guys are great... thanks for the info everyone.. and the link "pieceofcake"...

You guys are the reason I love this site!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #13 of 39

Also...just wanted to add - Think of facebook as a shift in cultural communication, it's not a "fad", it's a shift away from the telephone and one-one communication to a more circular way to communicate thanks to all of the technology. It's also a way that potential clients establish trust with a company. Your website is now your "storefront" so to speak. It's static. Social media is how clients get to know the people behind the business.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Also...just wanted to add - Think of facebook as a shift in cultural communication, it's not a "fad", it's a shift away from the telephone and one-one communication to a more circular way to communicate thanks to all of the technology. It's also a way that potential clients establish trust with a company. Your website is now your "storefront" so to speak. It's static. Social media is how clients get to know the people behind the business.

Excellent post CakeForte!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:16am
post #15 of 39

I agree... make a fan page. It's a lot easier since you don't have to approve people when they want to become a fan like you would if it ws an actual page.

I have a FB fan pge for my biz. I'm not very active with it, but my resolution is to be better. To use it to advertise specials and blog a little. =]

costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:25am
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I agree... make a fan page. It's a lot easier since you don't have to approve people when they want to become a fan like you would if it ws an actual page.

I have a FB fan pge for my biz. I'm not very active with it, but my resolution is to be better. To use it to advertise specials and blog a little. =]

I fanned you, do you feel cooler? icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 39

Oh totally! icon_wink.gif

I'm going to fan you too... then you can feel cooler too!! icon_lol.gif

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 39

Thanks for all the info. I've just set up an account for myself. My daughter has one for me but says that it is thru her account and wont' let me update it. I would love some fans... it is Keystone Confections- the one that shows me with a light purple jacket as the "icon". Thanks again for all the info. Piece of cake- your cakes are beautiful!

Linda

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #19 of 39

Jeanne and Linda... I became a fan on your FB pages!! You both do amazing work. I have a FB page as well under JaimeCakes.

Happy Baking!
~ Jaime

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Also...Don't post too much. What you write on your fan page wall will appear on the news feeds of all of your fans. Posting 3-4 times a day makes you like an email spammer and you will start to annoy people very quickly.

Great advice! FB can be great for business.
I post once a week, I put pictures of the cakes I've done the previous week with a small description and flavors used.

I became one of your fans PieceOfCAkeAZ!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #21 of 39

masturbaker - I love your name - it cracks me up. I have a group on fb. let me know when your page is up and I'll join too!

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #22 of 39

[quote="CakeGrlPA"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

I became one of your fans PieceOfCAkeAZ!

Thanks CakeGrlPA!!!

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 39

Jaime,

I just "fanned" you. I love the Steeler cake! My family lives in SW PA- Pittsburgh.

Linda

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #24 of 39

I'm one of the few people left who would rather talk on the phone or see someone in person...but "the times, they are a-changing"...

I grudgingly got a facebook account when my two closest friends switched from myspace... I have some cakes in an album there, but set to private because I have a website.

Here's my issue with facebook~ everyone you ever met wants to "add" you to pad thier friend count (rude!). I hate hitting "ignore" but I do... I really only want actual friends on there. A FAN page sounds like a better way to go.

Jeanne ~ I'll FAN you tonight! I have some friends in NH and your work ROCKS!!! I'll send them your way. icon_smile.gif Oh, and thanks for the kind words you left about the 5-tier cake.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #25 of 39

I too set up a group page for my cakes on Facebook. I invited my friends and then when they join all their friends can see. I have almost 250 members in a little less than a month- and a good 50-75 people who I don't even know personally. I've gotten several inquiries so far. I post about once a week with pictures or such- just to let them know what I've been up to. It's been my best tool yet. Masturbaker- post your name and I'll become a fan! I'll also go back and look up other posters on here and fan you guys icon_biggrin.gif Feel free to check out my page, "Kara's Custom Cakes"

costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 1:37pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1012

icon_biggrin.gif Feel free to check out my page, "Kara's Custom Cakes"

What a wonderful first name you have! (It's my name, too icon_wink.gif )

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #27 of 39

We have a fan based facebook page for the bakery. I use it to post our upcoming specials, daily lunch specials and things coming hot out of the oven.
I have lots of feedback from customers coming in saying my facebook post made them stop in. It is a great way to advertise.

ksmith1012 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1012

icon_biggrin.gif Feel free to check out my page, "Kara's Custom Cakes"

What a wonderful first name you have! (It's my name, too icon_wink.gif )

Yea- it goes really well with 'cakes'! LOL obviously we were destined for this profession thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #29 of 39

You might want to make sure you are the only one under your name. I don't have a facebook page but there is a gal who pirated my business name and has even written me telling me to send her all my customers. icon_eek.gif (Can you say "bite me hard??) icon_confused.gif So I had to put a blurb on my www homepage debunking that myth. Many of my students are on facebook and have tried to contact her regarding this but everything regarding her business is marked private. Hmmmm, I wonder why... icon_confused.gif

ksmith1012 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #30 of 39

definitely! That was the first thing I did, just because of my name, and surprisingly no one else had it yet. She asked you to send her your customers? lol Is she in your area? That's about as bad as someone contacting me (who by the way has never even iced a cake) saying her and I should go into business together. Then when she starts talking about MY cakes, she starts using the words WE and OUR. LOL yea- that email didn't get a reply. Just a good chuckle icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%