This Was Just Gross!

Decorating By khoudek Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 6:20am by madgeowens

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 28

I was airbrushing a cake today with black coloring. So you can imagine how everything around the airbrush area is coated in a fine film of black. Well, I've a cold right now, so I finish up airbrushing, tuck the cake back in the fridge and go get a kleenex to blow my drippy nose....and OMG, I've inhaled the stuff!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I'm sure I've been breathing it all in the past, but black just made it soooo much more noticable. So I've been wondering if this is harmful. Next time I wear a mask!

27 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 28

Yup, used to have rainbow snot all the time when I worked at the grocery store bakery. A dust mask is definitely a good thing to wear when airbrushing!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:30am
post #3 of 28

I don't think it can do your bronchial passages or lungs any good...I would wear a hanky like the cowboys wear over nose from now on. Just a few times I would not worry but if its often , yes I would cover nose icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 28

Oh that is gross! I would definitely put something over your face to stop that from happening in the future.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 28

The first time I airbrushed I used blue, and I had blown my nose and was like what the... I'm glad the first time wasn't red because then I probably would have freaked out.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 28

I was making pitchers of KoolAid for church Sunday, and everything turned pink! I had been fighting a sinus infection, so was afraid for a moment that I was worse than I thought. Then I realized.....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 28

This is an aside but wow who knew?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/health/main3239379.shtml

"Popcorn lung" messes up your lungs from the ingredients in the microwave popcorn and the steam heat from opening the bag.

So no telling what all our other products are doing to us--and for that matter I always make sure that when I use spray oils like Pam or Baker's Joy I hold my breath and leave the area for a few minutes--I don't need that stuff in my lungs.

Random rainbow booger & popcorn lung thoughts for you
--would you like extra butter with that?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

This is an aside but wow who knew?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/health/main3239379.shtml

"Popcorn lung" messes up your lungs from the ingredients in the microwave popcorn and the steam heat from opening the bag.

So no telling what all our other products are doing to us--and for that matter I always make sure that when I use spray oils like Pam or Baker's Joy I hold my breath and leave the area for a few minutes--I don't need that stuff in my lungs.

Random rainbow booger & popcorn lung thoughts for you
--would you like extra butter with that?

LOL!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 28

Bakers Joy is the worst. I have to hold my breath for sure!

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 28

I had a teacher in high school who always complained about how he'd get "chalk lung" someday. For christmas that year we got him dust-free chalk. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 28

I bought some masks but still get rainbow colored boogers when I airbrush.... maybe I got the wrong kind?

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I bought some masks but still get rainbow colored boogers when I airbrush.... maybe I got the wrong kind?

I wonder if it has to be really tight and secure around the nose bridge for the mask to work. I was going to go to Walmart today and check out masks in their pharmacy area. They're the onlyy kind of mask I know about.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 28

Look in the paint and hardware stores - I got one of those monster masks once to strip a floor and did not breath in any fumes as long as I had it on. It's a little more expensive, but I believe the only thing you have to do is change the filters on it periodically. I can't remember the brand - but I bought it at Home Depot in the paint section. Painters use them for spraying on paint - and that latex is much worse for you than food safe ink.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 28

I think a mask is a good idea. I knew someone several years ago whose teen son died from Pam. They were at a cookout in the park and 2 of the teens got hold of cans of Pam (I am assuming it was for grilling) and started goofing off with it and spraying it at/on each other and it coated the lungs of one young man and he died...Now I always hold my breath when spraying it.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 28

By the way, you should wear the mask when you use the dusting petal/disco/luster dusts, they really fly through the air.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I knew someone several years ago whose teen son died from Pam......it coated the lungs of one young man and he died....

Sadly, kids "huff" (deliberately inhale) PAM to get high. They get high off of the accelerants (often nitrous oxide or a gasoline related chemical) in the can and forget that the product in the can can have harmful side effects if inhaled, too.

It's not an accidental or innocent situation. We spent a lot of time warning our 2 boys about this when they were in middle school & senior high. It often runs rampant during these school years.

Rae

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #17 of 28

Ha ha-that is gross! I'm sure one time you will be fine, but from now on wear a mask.

I also hate it when I breathe in Bakers Joy.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #18 of 28

I heard some report somewhere about bakers having a higher incidence of lung problems when they get older because of all of the particles of sugar/flour/ airbrushed food coloring etc that we inhale.

Not only that, but after dealing with my nearly-deaf FIL and taking him to the hearing aid place 18 times in the last 6 months, I now use earplugs when I have the mixer on for long periods of time.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

By the way, you should wear the mask when you use the dusting petal/disco/luster dusts, they really fly through the air.

i was just dusting some gumpaste flowers with petal dust tonight and saw the stuff flying around. icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:27am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

i was just dusting some gumpaste flowers with petal dust tonight and saw the stuff flying around. icon_eek.gif

My kitchen is semi-open to the living room, but it's a good 30-35 feet away from the fireplace. I was dusting one day and the fireplace mantle was covered with red petal dust, so that stuff gets around!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:22pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Maybe the particles are so fine that they pass through the weave (or whatevere) of some masks.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #22 of 28

We had a neighbor back when I was in my teens that died of emphysema. He had his own bakery and it was from inhaling flour and powdered sugar.

costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:28pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgood

We had a neighbor back when I was in my teens that died of emphysema. He had his own bakery and it was from inhaling flour and powdered sugar.

I figured it can't be good for you icon_eek.gif . I've also started doing petal dusts outside in the garage with the door open. I have a desk set up out there so that I can lay everything out and the dust goes right on outside. I don't use them too often, but man they go everywhere!

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #24 of 28

I use a 3M dual cartridge respirator and love it! It comes in numerous sizes therefore it's possible to find one that fits just right. The respirator cost $25 and came with an extra set of replacement filters. Depending on amount of use, I replace my filters every 4 to 6 months (filters cost approx $4/pair). I like it because it fits right, is comfortable and easy to breathe, provides great protection and doesn't give me a headache.

I purchased mine at a shop that specializes in automotive paints (Space Age Paint in Mesa, AZ) because they had a great selection of all sizes and were very helpful with fitting the mask. This isnt something that should be purchased online unless you already know what size you wear icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #25 of 28

Yup, technocolor boogs!! LOL!

I usually wear a dry wallers mask if I'm doing much dusting or airbrushing.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo0676

Bakers Joy is the worst. I have to hold my breath for sure!

It's horrible, I cover my nose and mouth and make sure the WeeOne is out of the kitchen

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 5:54am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Look in the paint and hardware stores - I got one of those monster masks once to strip a floor and did not breath in any fumes as long as I had it on.

I know this is serious....but....

I saw myself making cakes with one of these masks on and making the "Darth Vaider" sounds icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OMG I can't stop laughing!!!!!

"Luke, I'm your cake designer"
(in the best Darth Vaider voice and sounds togo with it)!!!!

OMG I'm on the floor and my husband thinks I'm really nuts now!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

VIC

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 6:20am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstbni

I had a teacher in high school who always complained about how he'd get "chalk lung" someday. For christmas that year we got him dust-free chalk. icon_smile.gif

When I was in Nursing School many many moons ago, we took chalk from the black boards in one of our class rooms and put it in a petrie dish and sent it to the hospital lab to see what was growing.......strep, staph and some organisms they could not identify were a few ...yikesters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%