Plastic Dowels Or Wood Dowels?

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 2:57pm by ohayr639

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

I do not have a hard plastic cake plate with "feet" (just a cardboard one) for the 7 in square I am putting between a 10 in round and a 6 in round, so should I use small wood dowels or like 1 in plastic ones? I am trying ot do this for tomorrow kind of spur of the moment! Thanks so much!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

Either will work fine. (Some members like using bubble tea straws, also.)

The plastic dowels will be easier to cut. But whichever you use/have on hand - just be sure that they're all the same height, that's the most important part!

Here's a little pictoral by indydebi on cutting dowels to the same length:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-434013-.html

HTH

ohayr639 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I have both, the cake won't slide off the layer will it?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

..the cake won't slide off the layer will it?

To adhere the tiers to the cakeboards, put down dab of frosting. The weight of the cakes will keep them from sliding off the boards.

To keep the layers of the cakes from sliding off each other, use a firm b/c dam and a reasonable amount of filling:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?Occ1Id=&ideaId=168&idea=494&occasion=General Cake Instructions

To insure that the stacked tiers don't move, use a center dowel through all three tiers. (This part is more easily done with a sharpened dowel.)

Does that answer your question?

HTH

ohayr639 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

That does help, a lot! Thanks! What if I am using SPS, I cannot put a dowel through all the cakes so how do I make sure they are secured?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%