Painting With Food Coloring...

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 12:59am by 3GCakes

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone.. I'm wondering if some of you can help me out.. I see cakes all the time with designs or details that have been painted on.. I assume using food coloring.. How is this done? do you dilute food coloring with water? Or do you use gel colors? I'm interested in painting large designs on fondant and also, painting small details on fondant figures and such....

Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 8

Use gel colors diluted with vodka.

If it's a piece that's not going to be eaten, like a gumpaste figure, you can use nontoxic markers to draw on small details.

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 8

I also use gel colors with clear vanilla extract because the smell of vodka makes me want to puke... icon_surprised.gif

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 8

thanks! how much do you dilute the gel? what part gel to what part liquid? and why vodka? why not just water?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use airbrush colors, they are liquid and don't have to be thinned down.

You thin with vodka or vanilla because the alcohol evaporates out. Though I like everclear myself. icon_wink.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

I use lemon extract to dilute the gel color. smells great

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 8

I use vodka because it's the cheapest icon_biggrin.gif I don't even notice the smell anymore, because I paint with it a lot. The reason to use alcohol is that it dries a lot faster than water.

About how much to dilute it, it will depend on what shade you want. More alcohol=lighter shade. If you put the color on without diluting it, you'll get the most intense results but it can take a week to dry.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

You can also use clear vanilla. I put mine in a candy bottle, cut a small tip, and use it drop by drop, depending on what I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%