Even Cookies

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm by luv2bake6

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 30

Hi I am wondering what everyone uses to roll out nice even cookies? I don't have time to order anything special online, but would like to have some ideas for the cookie order I have at the end of the week, thanks!

29 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 30

Get two pieces of 1/8th or 1/4 inch (whatever thickness you want for your cookies) square dowels. You can find these in the craft store, they are made of balsa and are cheap! Put one on each side of your dough, so that your rolling pin will rest on them when the dough is worked down to that height.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 30

Yup. prterrell is right on the money. Easy and cheap!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 30

and before I got special dowels to use for cookies, I just laid two wooden spoons on each side of the dough and rolled my roller on top of the spoon handles. thumbs_up.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 30

dowels or sticks work great!

TheCakerator Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 30

thanks everyone!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 30

I know you need something right now, but for future reference I could not recommend a Doboard more! It is the best, I love doing rolled cookies now, it has made my cookie life that much easier, worth every single penny thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 30

could you please explain what that product is? Thanks

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 30

the doughboard kinda looks like a picture frame that you use as a guide. You would stick your dough inside of the "frame" and then use the edges of the frame to guide your rolling pin to the correct thickness. They're VERY expensive though, I'm wondering if a regular picture frame would work? If you could find one the right thickness..or what about just making your own with some wood from the home depot?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........might have to try that!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

the doughboard kinda looks like a picture frame that you use as a guide. You would stick your dough inside of the "frame" and then use the edges of the frame to guide your rolling pin to the correct thickness. They're VERY expensive though, I'm wondering if a regular picture frame would work? If you could find one the right thickness..or what about just making your own with some wood from the home depot?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........might have to try that!

I have thought this too. I have my dad working on a design to make me a doboard! The only thing we can't figure out is how to make it adjustable so you can roll to different thicknesses.

In the mean time, my mom bought me some rubber thingies (that's a technical term icon_wink.gif ) from a kitchen store that go on the ends of my rolling pins. They are like the ones you can buy for rolling fondant but they are thicker. With the largest one I can roll my dough to 3/8 inch. They don't work perfectly but are better than guessing at a the thickness.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 30

I do the same thing confectionsofahousewife does (love that name!!). I use the long fondant roller made by Wilton (get it at Michael's with a coupon). I then put the Wilton rings on. Perfectly rolled cookies every time!

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 30

I'm new to cookie baking but I also use dowel rods. I got them for the hardware store. I got 3 different sizes to try out. I got them to cut the rods in half and I think the total was around $7. Oh, I got the square and round ones because I didn't know which would work better. I think I like the round ones the best. I thought about a Doboard but after using the rods, I think I'll continue with those for a while.

TheCakerator Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 30

thank you everyone for your ideas!

TheCakerator Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 30

ok, so I went to our local home improvement store last night for dowel rods. They only had the square ones and only in 1/2in thickness. Is this to thick for a cookie? How long do you suppose a 1/2in cookie should be baked for? My biggest fear is having an underbaked cookie and someone getting sick from it. When do you pull such a thick cookie? When the bottom starts to brown? When its browning up the sides of the cookie?

KHalstead Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:07pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I have thought this too. I have my dad working on a design to make me a doboard! The only thing we can't figure out is how to make it adjustable so you can roll to different thicknesses.

In the mean time, my mom bought me some rubber thingies (that's a technical term icon_wink.gif ) from a kitchen store that go on the ends of my rolling pins. They are like the ones you can buy for rolling fondant but they are thicker. With the largest one I can roll my dough to 3/8 inch. They don't work perfectly but are better than guessing at a the thickness.

My thoughts were either make them 1/4" thick and stack a couple depending on the thickness, or just make several in different thicknesses! I mean if they're cheap enough to make, it might not be too bad to just have a couple all in different thicknesses. I tend to make ALL of my cookies 1/4' thick even if they're for bouquets (a skewer just fits perfectlly without tearing through the front or back)..unless a customer specifically orders them "thick" at which point I make them 1/2' thick...so i'd only need 2 of these at MOST.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 30

I use the smart rolling pin. Just grab it and go!! icon_biggrin.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I use the smart rolling pin. Just grab it and go!! icon_biggrin.gif

what's the smart rolling pin??

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 30

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=614922

I put the smallest rollers on and leave them on. Works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #19 of 30

I made a do it yourself rolling board a while back. It has 1/4 in square dowels, I have since found 3/8 square ones. Am thinking of putting them on the other side of the board. Would give me two a in one board. icon_smile.gif
LL

KHalstead Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:01pm
post #20 of 30

I use pvc pipes as rolling pins all the time (i love that I can buy tiny ones (in diameter) and cut them small, I use them when I have to roll out a small piece of fondant or gumpaste) but I use the larger diameter ones for rolling cookie dough, I've seen on here where people have found rubber O rings to go on the pvc pipe to use for this purpose, but I can't seem to find anything that will work properly at my Home Depot!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 1:13pm
post #21 of 30

I use paint stir sticks (from Home Depot) they are the perfect height and they don't roll away on me.
I also roll the dough between two sheets of parchment

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:35pm
post #22 of 30

I use CD cases!
Yesterday I was doing a batch of cookies and Dh walked into the kitchen. He saw me laying out CD's on either side of my work area- and started to ask why. I ignored him and just kept worked. He cracked up when he realized what I was doing!

BWB- I looooove that wooden rolling pin! One day, when I am rich (or start doing this for business instead of just a hobby) I'll get me one!

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #23 of 30

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I make so many cookies that it was cheaper just in limited aggravation to have one! icon_biggrin.gif

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:18pm
post #24 of 30

linedancer,

What size is your board? And what is on it for the shine?

Thanks.
Phyllis

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 11:51pm
post #25 of 30

I use Even Doughbands.

http://www.grammascutters.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EvenDough046

I bought mine at Sur La Table. But you can get them at Williams-Sonoma and Bed Bath and Beyond.

HTH!

linedancer Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #26 of 30

Phyllis52 Here is the post where I talked about how to make the board. I think the shine is from the clear contact I put on it, reflecting the flash from the camera.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629726-diy.html

HTH

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #27 of 30

bobwonderbuns, thanx for that website info, I just ordered my smart rolling pin and some other fun stuff thumbs_up.gif

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:25am
post #28 of 30

Thanks linedancer -

Great instructions, that's what I'm going to be doing. I didn't think clear contact paper, I was thinking lacquer - your idea is much, much easier.

Phyllis
thumbs_up.gif

linedancer Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 12:22pm
post #29 of 30

You are welcome, Happy rolling!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:39pm
post #30 of 30

I just asked my hubby if he'll make me one (i am diy challenged).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%