Help! Carved Cake??!

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm by Mark-Mexicano

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 3

Well I'm sure theres already a forum on this but i'm short on time to search! I need a 3 tier cake to have each tier rounded with the bottom skinnier then the top....i dont know if there a name for that but i think you get the ideaicon_smile.gif i know that the best way to carve is fresh out of the freezer to eliminate crumbs (right?) but i've had a few problems in the past with my carved cakes where the frosting doesnt stick as well to the carved areas! -creating lots of crumbs and sometimes frosting falls off completely!i know i need to crumb coat... i always do but there must be something i'm doing wrong for those things to happen! should i crumb coat while the cake is still semi frozen? do i let it settle after coating? the cake is foing to be all BC so I need help to make this a success!!! THANK YOU!

2 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 3

In my experience: never frost a frozen cake! Carve-sure; frost-no!

Definately crumb-coat with a thinned frosting. I would say let the crumb coat dry before coating with the buttercream. You could put the crumb-coated cakes in the frig to firm them up.

Make sure your bc isn't too thick!

Good luck!

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 3

what I do is I fill the cakes, put in freezer till the cakes are a little firm (like 10 min) Then carve to desired shape, put back in frezzer till firm-ish (like 10 min), Then crumb coat with thinned icing, Then put back in frezzer till firm to touch (like 10 min), then ice with normal consistency icing.. I use this all the time and always works for me HTH Mark Mexicano

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%